Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export/Import Electrical System Data

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
basava
770 Views, 3 Replies

Export/Import Electrical System Data

Hi all,

I am working on a plugin which exports and imports Electrical System Data in xml format. Exactly like it is shown in this video. It would be helpful if somebody guide me to learn the basic things which are to be learnt before starting developing plugin.

Thanks & Regards,

Basava

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
kmorin
in reply to: basava

Electrical API is probably the most sparsely documented with lots of quirks. Make sure you read through the Revit API.chm file as you go to familiarize yourself with the classes and available methods and what they return. That is the biggest effort.

Second, you will be dealing mostly with the ElectricalCircuit Class since that is where all the info is stored (don't think about it in terms of wiring/equipment/fixtures).

Third, read through Jeremy Tammik's blog http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/ for an excellent source of knowledge about Revit API. I read it every day.

Last, Practice. Practice. Practice. Debug. Debug Debug. Make sure you try and fail and try until you get what you want out of it.

Message 3 of 4
basava
in reply to: kmorin

Thanks kmoring for ut reply.

Oops!. Going through complete RevitAPI  could take a couple moths to learn. Let me start with "ElectricalCircuit" but I dont find the Class with "ElectricalCircuit" in help file. Could you please point me to online help resource. 

Thanks in Advance,

Basava

Message 4 of 4
kmorin
in reply to: basava

I apologize. It is the 'ElectricalSystem' class you are looking for. There is no such ElectricalCircuit class. I use my own custom class called Circuit when dealing with electrical systems.

You also will definitely want to get the snoop db utility tool installed to dive into each element and see what parameters each element has during what phase of connectivity and how everything interacts. That can be found in your Revit SDK. You will probably have to build it and put it in your add-ins folder for it to work. That tool has helped me immensely.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community