Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create new FamilySymbol inside Non-Family Project

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sam.z
388 Views, 4 Replies

Create new FamilySymbol inside Non-Family Project

Hello

Is it possible to programmatically create a new FamilySymbol when my Addin is running in an Architectural Project?

My methodology is:

• Create new FamilySymbol from 2 existing FamilyInstances (ie, nest these 2 FamilyInstances inside another FamilyInstance)

I have search through the API reference and blog posts but I haven't come across a function that allows me to create a new FamilySymbol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeremytammik
in reply to: sam.z

Dear Sam,

Congratulations on repeately coming up with radical questions with simple (negative) answers.

Maybe you should take a deeper look at standard Revit product usage first, before digging any deeper into customisation issues.

The answer is no.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 5
sam.z
in reply to: jeremytammik

Jeremy, your statements and conduct are completely inappropriate and completely unconstructive.This is the first and only time I will tell you that I will not accept this conduct in one of my threads.

If you do not have something constructive to add do not participate in the thread (note this is not the first time your conduct on this forum has been unacceptable but this is your most blatant). If you are obliged to partipate in threads (as a paid employee of Autodesk and this is part of your work duties) then this is completely unacceptable conduct and not the kind of culture Autodesk wants to or should be cultivating on this forum.

Message 4 of 5
jeremytammik
in reply to: sam.z

Dear Sam,

Please accept my apologies.

I did not want to hurt you.

Yes, that was indeed rather flippant.

Unfortunately, there have been a number of questions in the past from developers, sometmes very experienced in other CAD system programming, confused by the Revit API due to its parameteric nature and other differences to all other APIs I know of.

Often, many of the issues arising can be much better understood or become completely clear with some product usage experience.

I sincerely wish to help you and everybody else working with the Revit API as fficiently as possible, and am very sorry to have offended you.

Here are some old blog posts discussing various aspects of nested family instances:

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 5

This Feature would be very useful and could solve lots of Problems which this software has from the point on it started to become Autodesk and the PTC core develoment team left. Maybe some System.Reflection of Code for geometry / Parameter buildup within Family File would be also good.  Thanks Autodesk. Maybe take the customer serious as David R.  does. By the way if this is possible i would switch the software in some cases. Thsi is not ab bad idea. And saying no its not pssible shows the attitute.

buildasitis.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community