Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create installer for Revit application

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
krisnakumar
3510 Views, 9 Replies

Create installer for Revit application

Hi everyone,

I have created a simple Revit add-on application using Visual studio 2012. there is the application.dll which is supposed to go into the Revit install folder. I also have a application.addin file which I created for it to load when Revit loads. I want to upload this application to the Autodesk App store so users can download it.

Please help me how do I create the installer for this application??

Is there any specific Installer to create Revit add-on executable.?

I have referred in website that explains how to upload, however, it doesn't say anything about the installer. Can someone tell me how to do this? 

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: krisnakumar

The easiest way to create an installer and address a large audiance at the same time is to provide your add-in via the Revit AppStore.

Autodesk is hosting a webinar soon explaining all about it:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2014/05/aec-hackathon-in-new-york-and-new-developer-guide-u...

If you want to roll your own and not address a target audiance, the one I like best is the one provided with the Revit Ruby Shell:

https://github.com/hakonhc/RevitRubyShell

That includes the setup source code.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 3 of 10
krispy

You can just zip up the files they require (dll, addin, etc) and upload that... the exchange app team will create the installer for you. They are pretty good with telling you what you need to add if you have not provided enough information.

Message 4 of 10
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: krispy

Hey Krispy,

Thank you very much for that endorsement.

It fits in really well with my blog post on the AppStore:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2014/05/exchange-apps-webinar-recording-and-resources.html

Just happened to be on the same day.

Synchronicity rules.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 5 of 10
krisnakumar
in reply to: krispy

@ krispy Really Awesome !!, But where I could upload my files to get the installer..
Message 6 of 10
krispy

you need to upload to them a zip file containing all the files necessary for your app to run. I.E. the *.dll, *.addin, images, etc.

they then test your app and if it is working will create an install file using your upoaded files and send it to you for testing.

Message 7 of 10
krisnakumar
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

@ jermey you guys cool approach in the procedure,  I need some clarification on this.  In my application, I will create a registry to store a key that uses  in my application.  So, Currently I will delete/remove the created registry while uninstalling the application.  Please clarify this feature will avalilable in your custom installer.  Thank you.   

Message 8 of 10

Hi,

So if you follow the steps described on http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=20143032 then the Exchange Store team will create the .MSI for you.

If you need additional rules, like your custom registry keys, then you can create a Merge Module .MSM, see more at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa243932%28v=vs.60%29.aspx

This Merge Module contains only specific rules and you need to upload with the rest of the files (.dll, .addin, images, help, etc).

Please note you don't need to create registry keys to control install and uninstall features, just for custom action of you application.

Hope this explains, please let me know if it doesn't.

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 9 of 10

Hi,

I will like to know if there is any new better way of making a .msi installer than by using the RevitRubyShell in this two last years. If there is not, any short step by step guide to do the msi with RevitRubyShell? I want to make a installer to test my adding with different users before uploading to Revit Appstore.

Thanks.

Regards,

Juan.

Message 10 of 10

Dear Juan,

Have you talked at all yet with the AppStore team?

In general, they are very helpful and efficient.

They are probably able to help you best, including creating an initial MSI for testing purposes.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community