Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing active document title without saving

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
uros3d
559 Views, 6 Replies

Changing active document title without saving

Hello Autodesk Community, 

I'm building a simple external app that creates a family document and loads it automatically into a project. The problem is, I wan't to change family document's name before importing it but I don't want to save it since I create and import multiple family documents at once so saving each one to disk will cause a slow-down. Not to mention I must then load that same family from the disk in order to get the name I want, otherwise it will just be generic names like "Family1", "Family2" etc.

The family document has a "Title" property but it's read-only.  Is there any workaround?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeremytammik
in reply to: uros3d

Sorry, not that I know.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 7
nbrooksFL6XX
in reply to: jeremytammik

Jeremy - Has there been a change in this answer since your first reply in 2014?  I would like to do the same thing.  rename the document in memory - not save to disk.

Message 4 of 7
AGGilliam
in reply to: nbrooksFL6XX

I don't think you can change the name of the family from within the family document, but you can rename the family after it's been loaded into a project.
Message 5 of 7
nbrooksFL6XX
in reply to: AGGilliam

Thank you.  That’s what I thought.  I was just hoping someone would tell me there really was a new option available now ... that I wasn’t aware of.

Message 6 of 7
RPTHOMAS108
in reply to: nbrooksFL6XX

RAM disk I was thinking but that is a bit elaborate isn't it.

Message 7 of 7

Nope, sorry, I am not aware of any alternative approach. In many cases, the Revit API designers have intentionally implemented things the way they are for reasons unfathomable to us mere mortals outside the factory.

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community