Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding elevation loss to Pipe Pressure Drop calculation using source code

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
2592 Views, 20 Replies

Adding elevation loss to Pipe Pressure Drop calculation using source code

PipePressureDrop is currently using the length of pipe and friction to calculate pressure loss. However, it does not take into account pressure loss due to elevation. Below is the default method for pressure drop calculation from source code:

11.JPG

Total pressure loss must include pressure loss due to elevation. To do this, we must include the normal offset difference of the pipe segment and multiply that by the pressure drop per elevation offset difference. Below is how the pressure drop would ideally be calculated in source code.

12.JPG

13.JPG

Currently all variables being used for calculations are referencing class Autodesk.Revit.DB.Plumbing.PipePressureDropData.

StartOffset and EndfOffset are referenced in class Autodesk.Revit.DB.Extrusion.

How do we use dDeltaOffset within public void Calculate(PipePressureDropData data)?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
gopinath.taget
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

To summarize, would your question be how to obtain the pipe's start and end point elevations in the Calculate method of the IPipePressureDropServer? Or am I missing something?

Thanks
Gopinath

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: gopinath.taget

Yes, the Start Offset and End Offset would need to be in the calculation method of the IPipePressureDropServer. Currently those attributes of the pipe are not available to make calculations from. Is there a way to pull that information from Extrusion and PipePressureDropData?

Message 4 of 21
jeremytammik

If the question is reduced to obtaining the start and end points of a pipe, the answer is simple:

Ask the pipe for its location curve and use those endpoints.

Am I missing something?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 21

Hi Jeremy,

Do we have any sample that shows how to obtain a reference to the pipe element in the IPipePressureDropServer implementation? 

Thanks

Gopinath

Message 6 of 21

Hi Gopi and deubanks7525,

I checked with the development team, and here is their response:

"I don't think there is a way to get a ref to the pipe, and the calc framework doesn't support elevation changes... But, then, friction loss isn't dependent on elevation changes... So that stands to reason. Probably better to add logic to the pressure loss report to account for such open systems... I don't think we have an example, however."

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 7 of 21
Teun_Ham
in reply to: jeremytammik

@Anonymous wrote:

"...But, then, friction loss isn't dependent on elevation changes..."

Are you sure they said friction loss? Because we are talking about pressure loss here, and pressure loss is dependant on elevation changes.

Message 8 of 21
gopinath.taget
in reply to: Teun_Ham

Hello,

Thanks for the patience. I do have some feedback from the engineering team. Apparantly the IPipePressureDropServer was intended to only compute friction loss.

According to engineering:

*-------

the method is based on drop due to friction… and probably would have been better named ‘friction loss’… the methods by which friction is computed varies, and as such, made sense to expose a customizable way.  

*-------

And 

*------

the customized calculation method is not expected (as there is no need for it) to account for elevation loss; it is only supposed to calculate pressure drop caused by friction.

*------

So you do not have to account for elevation loss separately.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Gopinath

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: gopinath.taget

Thank you for the response. This seems unfortunate.

Wouldn't the "critical path" produced from the "pressure loss report" be void because of this? Pressure loss due to elevation plays a large roll in multi-story applications. If Revit assumes all pipe is horizontal (accounting for only friction loss), then the calculations cannot be trusted. I believe the critical path to the most hydraulically remote fixture includes pressure loss due to friction and elevation.

If IPipePressureDropServer was only intended to compute friction loss, is there a way to include pressure loss due to elevation in the pressure loss report?

Thank you.

Message 10 of 21
arnostlobel

deubanks7525:

I think the previous post (by Gopinath) might have been misunderstood. It is not that Revit treats all pipes as horizontal and would not account for elevation is overall pressure-loss calculations. It does; However, it does not expect (and does not want to, in fact) an external pressure-loss-by-friction calculator to account for elevation differences. It would in fact be duplication of what Revit already does. The friction calculator is separated from all others pressure-loss calculation that Revit internally preforms and the reason for it is that the friction default calculation may not be liked by some who would rather prefer to use a different (or modified) formulas. But hat is just for the friction part.

Thank you

Arno?t L?bel
Autodesk, Revit R&D
Arnošt Löbel
Message 11 of 21
D.Svigir

Hello,

to everybody. I'm MEP engineer from Croatia and I work in firm which is Autodesk Gold Partner. We work in Autodesk Revit our projects, BIM implementation, trainings and we also are developing tools for simpler use of Revit. Currently we have developed addin for Domestic Water Systems. This addin adds new calculation method for Plumbing Fixtures using FU. Calculation method is based on DIN 1988-W308 norm, also we have added the elevation loss calculation through addin. Applications can calculate critical path based on line pressure loss in pipes and elevation loss.

You can find our application on Autodesk Exchange.

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3awatersystemcalcula...

Best Regards,

Message 12 of 21
jeremytammik
in reply to: D.Svigir

Dear D.Svigir,

Please note that this discussion forum is dedicated to programming Revit using the Revit API.

Therefore, your information about the availability of your commercial end user product is not completely appropriate, unless you want to help the Revit add-in developer community by pointing out and explaining certain interesting technical aspects of its internal implementation.

I hope this clarifies.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 13 of 21

Hi,

Have you made any progress on this issue?

The critical path should take into account the pressure loss due to the elevation difference.

In my opinion the pipes should have a new parameter indicating this pressure loss.

Message 14 of 21
guilherme
in reply to: andrei.bejenaru

I have the same problem with pressure loss with elevation. The part of the report I managed to develop.
But I have another problem, is it possible to set the critical path in the system? I researched the api and internet and got nothing about it.

Sorry my English, my default language is Portuguese Brazil.
Message 15 of 21
reylorente1
in reply to: guilherme

Hola a todos,parce ser este un tema algo ya viejo,pero asi todo aqui va la pregunta(Mi ingles es terrible),estoy haciendo un addin, solo para mostrar los calculos de la de   la ruta critica,pero como sabemos,no muestra la altura,del mueble sanitario,entonces,deberiamos colocarlo,manualmente ,o existe una forma de extraerlo desde el programa,otra cosa,tambien estoy tratando de colocar en el metodo de perdida de las piezas(tee,codos,etc)el valor de la longitud equivalente,ya que el metodo que trae revit,es algo confuso,.por alguna idea de como poder hacerlo?Tengo una idea,crear un parametro compartido y despues almacenar los datos con ExtensibleStorage.

Cualquier idea ,por favor seria bienvenida,

Muchas gracias

Message 16 of 21
jeremytammik
in reply to: reylorente1

Dear Reynaldo,

Here are some links to articles by The Building Coder that may be of interest to you in this context:

Modeless pressure drop tool (eleven years old!):

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2009/10/modeless-pressure-drop-tool.html

More examples of using extensible storage:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/about-the-author.html#5.23

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 17 of 21
reylorente1
in reply to: jeremytammik

Ok,gracias los mirares.

Message 18 of 21
engrodriggo2

É totalmente possível Guilherme

Message 19 of 21
reylorente1

A partir del Revit 2021.1.2,ya existe en unidades de proyecto el mca o metro de columna de agua, si se lo adicionamos al Flow Pressure(presión del equipo) la altura de la toma de agua del equipo, y se vuelve a calcular,los valores serian diferentes y la ruta critica cambiaria a la toma de agua mas alta(Puntos mas desfavorable).Puedes crear desde la familia ,este parámetro o   adicionarlo manualmente, creando un pequeño addin,

Espero que te sirva de ayuda

Message 20 of 21
reylorente1
in reply to: reylorente1

Escribí en Revit Idea ( Adding elevation loss to Pipe Pressure Drop calculation), para que en el futuro, se tenga en cuenta en los cálculos 

!Apoyémoslo!

Gracias

I wrote in Revit Idea (Adding elevation loss to Pipe Pressure Drop calculation), so that in the future, it will be taken into account in the calculations

Votes!

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community