Community
Remote Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Remote Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Remote topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mrack42
770 Views, 10 Replies

Logging?

I'd like to work remotely (sometimes), but it's somewhat of a hard sell where I am.  They have had problems in the past of employees "working" remotely, but sufficed to say, abusing the privilege.  I was wondering if AR features some form of logging... ANYTHING I could possibly use to verify work was being done, or even just that I was logged in.  Anything that could serve as evidence of activity.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: mrack42

If you want that level of security, then your I.T. must provide you all with VPN access through the office servers: remote secure access is free and built into the server OS and there is no need to acquire or install a third party tool like this one.
Message 3 of 11
mrack42
in reply to: pendean

Well, I don't just need access to files... I need access to the software, so AR seems like a good fix for that.  I know you can request a home install license, but this would solve both my file and software access in one shot... and hopefully without having to bother IT.

So my question remains... does AR feature any sort of activity logs?  I'm not super-concerned w/ security... something like AutoCADs plot logs would be sufficient.

Message 4 of 11
pendean

Again, your I.T. can give you total remote access to your desktop at the office from where ever you are outside the office through the server OS with no extra software. Activity Logs included. All built into your Server OS and Desktop Windows. No home install of AutoCAD required.

Ask them about Remote Desktop Connection (any Windows version, this is just an example):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-using-remote-desktop-connection#connect-using-rem...

AR is similar to every other RDP add-on out there (many offer free versions to test):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software
http://remote-desktop-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

AR is really created for the one-man-shop that needs access to their office PC remotely, that doesn't have an I.T., that is also on subscription, that feels overwhelmed by other better choices, that just wants to install a ready made package from a familiar company. If that's you, go for it. It does one thing only, gets you into your office PC from outside the office as long as both devices have this software loaded. No bells, whistles, fanfare or features beyond the basic task.

Message 5 of 11
mrack42

Gotcha... fair enough.  I can look into that... I was hoping to not have to bother IT (we have about 130 people, most of the IT being managed by 1 man), and avoid possibly creating another "diplomatic" complication to gaining remote access.

Whether it's the best solution of not, I guess I'd still like to know if AR has any kind of activity logging.

Also, for what it's worth, this is for use w/ Inventor 2014.

Message 6 of 11
pendean

By all means try it: but work with your IT and Senior Memebers of your company. Imagine how they would react if you told them access to corporate files was open to the world and staff outside the office through a 3rd party app that bypasses the server security controls.
Message 7 of 11
mrack42

Are you telling me anyone can log in to any AR station at will?

Message 8 of 11
dgorsman

I think thats overstating things a bit.  For example, if your user information is picked up through a keylogger on your home computer somebody elsewhere could jump into your system for malicious intent.

All the same, even if there is some kind of use logging you will probably find this type of access a hard sell to both IT (security, resources, troubleshooting) and management (time abuse).  I'm of the mind that outside the office is "you time" except for very specific circumstances and should be for not-work.  Its easy to get into a "crackBerry" situation where there is an expectation that you will be able to get work done at any time and any circumstances.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 11
mrack42
in reply to: dgorsman

Well... sometimes compromises have to be made.  I'm in a situation where it's hard for me to work OT (which everyone wants), basically because I have a 2-yo.  I can't stay late, because I have to pick up from daycare.  I can't leave a sleeping 2-yo at home and pop into work... but I CAN hop on my home PC 10' from my sleeping 2-yos bed.

Message 10 of 11
pendean

Yes, you need to talk with your H.R., I.T. and your Supervisor/Manager/Boss and work out a real work-from-home solution that fits your needs and meets their security requirements and business privacy needs.

AR is not the solution for I.T. managed firms with privacy concerns: your an employee, it's not your call sadly.

Message 11 of 11
dgorsman

Before you head for HR, consider doing something more managerial for work outside the office.  Its usually more portable than CAD work (and thus an easier sell), and the "pointy haired Boss" stuff is good for both the resume and future promotions.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report