Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workstation Specs for Pointcloud Work

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
subs
1076 Views, 5 Replies

Workstation Specs for Pointcloud Work

I'm hoping an AutoDesk tech will see and respond to this.

I'm about to buy a new machine.  CPU Cores, System Memory, Flavors of GPU (looking at K5000 Quadro).

I know iRay is GPU rendering.  I do not do stills.  I'm a animation Backburner guy.  I'm getting the impression IRay din't play ball very well in this area.  Renderfarm nodes were never populated with advanced GPU.

I use Mental Ray or Scanline. Sounds like CPU Cores and system RAM is the issue for me.

I don't know what resources best enhance Point Cloud dataset work in MAX, AutoCAD (and ReCap?).  Will K5000 or K6000 graphics cards do a thing for point clould performance in viewports or rendering?

Difficult to spend money wisely and get the best system when I don't know how resources are utilized in what situations.

Please advice asap.

(Any endusers with knowledge in this area welcome.)

Thanks.

Buck Wyckoff
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
vidanom
in reply to: subs

For sure this is a good option. If you can spend on this type of card definettely go for it.

It’s one of the fastest on the market and will work great with Recap.

All the best,

Mitko

Message 3 of 6
ryan.frenz

I would defer to Max & AutoCAD's recommendations for video card.  Those packages use their own pipelines to display the point cloud from the ReCap engine.  So listen to them about graphics.  Usually, the top-line workstation graphics cards are best.

On the ReCap-specific side, the critical factors are (in rough order):

- Disk speed (get a highly-rated SSD).  This huge for import/export, registration, and level-of-detail loading.

- RAM size & speed (16GB+, speed to match your CPU).  The more memory you have, the less the disk is used.

- CPU (more cores the better, large cache is great too)

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Message 4 of 6
subs
in reply to: ryan.frenz

Thanks everyone.

System purchased.

Good things to come.

Buck Wyckoff
Message 5 of 6
DarrenP

what are the final specs that you got?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
godiving
in reply to: DarrenP

I am also curious of the final specs and if the system is working well. I am currently considering purchasing a BOXX Workstation 4920 Xtreme.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report