Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap fails to import ACS LiDAR point file.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dimitrios.k.
2973 Views, 5 Replies

Recap fails to import ACS LiDAR point file.

I want to import the file below in Recap to generate a Mesh and export it further.

Here is the ACS file I have: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wdjczxl300oi10/SJ8599_DTM_1M.asc

However as shown in the image below, it fails to import.

Capturerecap.JPG

I have successfully opened the ACS file in Autocad Map 3D and generated a Surface, so I am not sure if there is problem with the data file.

Do you have any idea why this isn't working?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
richiee
in reply to: dimitrios.k.

ReCap is strictly for point clouds and doesn't offer any mesh generation tools. ASC files are not supported.

Is there something that you hoped to be able to do with ReCap that isn't available in your current workflow?
Message 3 of 6
dimitrios.k.
in reply to: richiee

Hi RItchie,

ASC is available as an option in the "Select Scans to import" Panel in Recap, so I imagine that it supports ASC files.

What I am trying to do is import the ASC file in Revit. However it fails to import after converting it to CSV. So I was hoping I could import the ASC data in Recap to see if it can be read and export again as ASC or other format.

I was looking into this tutorial.

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/how-to-convert-a-point-cloud-to-an-editable-3d-cad-model-mesh-tip...

Message 4 of 6
richiee

You're right, we do support ASC in the drop down, I was mistaken.

The tutorial has you exporting a PTS file from ReCap and then manually renaming it to ASC for import into MeshLab for the actual creation of the mesh.

Is this the process you're using? What is the original source (and format) of the LiDAR data?
Message 5 of 6
dimitrios.k.

The source of the LiDAR data is the UK  Geomatics Group. The format the data comes in is ASC.

I converted the ASC file to CSV in order to import in Revit through the Topo tool, but I would get the message "no points were found in the file".

I have posted the issue with Revit  here.

For this reason I tried to open it in Recap, to see if Recap can read it and then try to export it to PTS, then change it again to ASC and import in MeshLab or try to convert again to CVS for Revit.

That's because when I import the ASC directly to Meshlab I just get a straight line instead of a terrain mesh.

In any case, Recap fails to open the file. Why do you think that is?

Only when I connected the ACS as data in Autocad Map 3D I am able to get a TIN surface of the terrain.

Message 6 of 6
DEVR3965

Your file is an esri ascii raster (grid) fie (*.asc), so it isn't a raw point cloud file. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report