Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap Photo Texture map loss

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
moshecaine
1850 Views, 7 Replies

Recap Photo Texture map loss

Results from Recap Photo are impressive, however the resulting mesh must be edited to remove all the superfluous data. Recap Photo can not do this, so the file must be exported to an external editor. The obvious choice is Memento, which handles the file very well and offers basic but good mesh trimming and aditing capabilities. HOWEVER, when exporting the file back to OBJ, it loses the texture map. Additionally, most attempts to open the OBJ file exported from Recap Photo in Meshlab result either in a crash or loss again of the texture.

Is there a work around?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
vidanom
in reply to: moshecaine

Project Memento now exports texture.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/memento

Have fun and give us some feedback

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Project-Memento/bd-p/techprev

It has some smart texturing when filling holes, but the goal of the Team is much higher on this.

We'll keep you posted.

Miki

Message 3 of 8
bez_03
in reply to: vidanom

Hello,

Excuse me for barging in to this thread but I have the same problem.

I have noticed that Memento indeed export the textures, however,

I have a 4 million poly building facade model, done in Recap, I opened the RCM file in memento.
My goal was:

1. Clean the mesh as much as possible in memento

2. Export to OBJ (not decimated, only cleaned) with textures

3. Open the exporetd OBJ (with the textures) in mudbox

4. retopo the model and reduce the polygon numbers

5. Bake normal map from the high rez mesh.

6. use Lowpoly mesh with textures and the normal map from high poly mesh

The problem is (as it seems to me atleast, and I know I am still new to this workflow),

is that memnto export the exact texture map for the cleaned mesh, as the original texture map that was downloaded with RCM file.

Now obviously , the UV layout is totaly diferent by that stage, many deleted faces, capping holes, relaxing etc.

Yet the texture map is exactly the same, why is that?

More over, even when I try to open the original OBJ file downloaded directly from recap in mudbox,

I assume the uv should work as it should, however, since I get 2 texture maps I can't seem to place them correctly in mudbox.

Of course I am totaly new to mudbox (just downloaded the trial version) but I couldn't find any info on the internet.

Bottom line, it is possible for me to clean the model, retopo it etc.

but I lose the texture map in any workflow I try.

I am preety much lost here,

any help would be greatly appriciated,

Thanks,

Bez.,

Message 4 of 8
vidanom
in reply to: moshecaine

Hi Bez,

Memento is meant to be a part of this workflow and a much larger picture.

Until that, you can try the following:

-  Use the FBX file straight into Mudbox and do the clean ups in there.

Mudbox has a lasso tool for deleting faces and a patch tool for filling holes.

- Or maybe better: reduce the mesh, do all the clean ups and fillings in Memento, or Meshmixer and discard the texture. Worry only about your geometry of the model.

When done use Maya to transfer the texture from the original model to the model you’ve fixed without the texture.

The two models have to be in the same coordinate space and they will be if you haven’t moved them along the way.

Then you can use: In Render mode, Lighting/Shading > Transfer maps, or:

in mesh mode > “Mesh > Transfer Shading sets”, followed by Mesh > Transfer Attributes”

- You can use Maya help file to better understand the best settings for these functions and your model:

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/index.html?url=files/mrfMS_Baking_to_texture...

Regards,

Mitko

Message 5 of 8
dennis.martin

As an alternative to Maya, you can also transfer textures from the original unedited mesh to your cleaned, reduced, retopo-ed or re-UVed mesh in Mudbox.

Under the UVs & Maps menu, use Extract Texture Maps

Under Maps to Generate: select Transfer Paint Layers

Under Target Models: select your new edited mesh and click add

Under Source Models: select your original hi res mesh with textures and click add (you can select multiple source meshes, this functionality is super handy if you have combined multiple recap models together)

Finally click extract.

Message 6 of 8
bez_03

Hey vidanom, thanks for your help, I didn't know an FBX will open up with the textures applied. It works great, problem is retopo a model of more than 4 million polys break my computer (4gb ram) 🙂 I will try what dennis suggests below, on a decimated model from memento.
Thanks again!
Message 7 of 8
bez_03
in reply to: dennis.martin

Hey dennis, thanks for the tip,
I will try it later in the weekend.
Cheers 🙂
Message 8 of 8
bez_03

BTW, if memento would export an FBX,
it would really help, as it would allow us to skip this
time consuming process.
Just a suggestion.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report