Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCM and FBX output

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
BvC_Prod
2065 Views, 2 Replies

RCM and FBX output

In support of the cameras travelling with FBX and the need to clean and trim RCM in Memento, my workflow requires these two file types. With both the FBX and OBJ then imported into Maya as Assembly Definitions, it's good to know about the present state in the difference between transforms coming down from Recap Photo in these two file types. To align an OBJ to its counterpart FBX, add -90, +90, +180 to rotation, and on the FBX side the scale must be set back by 100. In my case, since I need cameras to scale with the FBX, I first group them, applying .01, .01, .01 to scale at the parent node.

Ideally, both meshes would inherit the same transform, avoiding potential confusion and saving the user from making the adjustment. Interestingly, A different correction was required before a response to my request along these lines. It used to be the FBX came in rot -90, 0, -90 relative to OBJ, the scale set at 1.0, but this being 100 times scaled up from its OBJ counterpart. While now the scale at the FBX node comes in at 100, it's still 100 times larger than the OBJ (which is why I'm still having to compensate). Obviously, this change only moves the target. I'm not sure why the world space has been rotated around in such an odd way, but okay, at least now we see what's going on.

My recommendation is that an RCM (and OBJ) and its FBX counterpart share the same world space and scale. Also, if there's no way to avoid scaling the FBX up 100, then not to bother setting its scale at 100, as doing so doesn't buy anything. 

Benjy

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
StefLabs
in reply to: BvC_Prod

Hi Benjy,

Actually both files (obj and FBX) have same orientation and scale when exported from Recap Photo.

It is Maya that converts the fbx file (only) to please default settings of Maya (Y-up and unit=centimeter) ...

If one changes Maya prefs settings into Z-up and Meter, then there is no problem.

Maya is converting and modifying the source data when “file up-axis” is different then the Maya preference up-axis … 

==> that "explains" the rotation and the factor 100 (meter to centimeter).

Why not obj files ?

obj is a mesh info only, no unit infos in the format, no Up axis infos, etc ... so Maya is not converting it to its settings ...

How to change this settings:

Go in menu Window->Preferences/Settings->|Preferences

Select Settings and modify settings (see images attached)

MayaPrefs.jpg

Hope it helps,

Stephane

Message 3 of 3
BvC_Prod
in reply to: StefLabs

Hello Stephane,

Thanks for pointing me, it's clear. I had read about world-up and wondered about this possibility, can appreciate why Maya frames the world with Y up, as from a cinematographer's perspective, especially one versed in 3D, the Z axis is for stereo depth, the Y and X relating to screen height and width. I also read that the gaming industry assumes Z axis for world-up, so anyway, it's now clear, I've already changed the prefs and imported my next mesh, lovely to see it drop in properly oriented and scaled. Now, to account for so many related abc files and assembly definitions based on mb files from previous Y-up setting, will make do.

As to you question about why not OBJs, I need those cameras. My subject matter, caves, calls for specialized strobe photography that, despite a really nice job, say 90% acceptable, by Recap Photo selecting and blending the best pixels from the associated imagery in constructing the multi-tile texture maps, I still have use projection mapping from the original cameras to paint over hard edges in UV maps and such. If the cameras could travel with RCM and if Memento could export FBX, I'd really love that. I could clean, trim, and bring something into Maya that from the ground up is that many steps into the workflow.

Thanks for implementing the originally requested transform into FBX from Recap Photo and thanks for clarifying the implied change in workflow, setting the appropriate scale and world up in Maya. In the future, whenever there's a change of this sort within Recap or Memento, what would also be much appreciated is, perhaps, some kind of mailer that goes out to users (based on your subscription list?) that headlines an update of new features and a kind of Read Me to keep everyone on the same page.

I still have a long way to go to deliver on a salable proof of concept demo, given the complexity of my project and the shere scale of the set, but I'm seeing major improvements, love where we are and the direction it's all taking. Kudos to some truly amazing technology.

Benjy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report