Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exporting .pts - units

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Chris_Baze
3100 Views, 7 Replies

exporting .pts - units

I exported a .pts file and imported into Cyclone. The units are coming in too small by a factor of 3.28084. I tried swithing my units in Recap from feet and inches to meters and re-exporting to no avail. There seems to be no way to adjust this on the cyclone side, so can I scale the whole point cloud up in Recap or otherwise adjust the units?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
vidanom
in reply to: Chris_Baze

I’m afraid not.

The units in ReCap are just a display units, they don’t affect the size of the cloud.

From where is your scan file coming from?

If you can export it as .txt file before importing in ReCap, that file can be rescaled in ReCap.

Click on the “text option” button and then change the desired units.

Sample attached.

Mitko 

Message 3 of 8
Chris_Baze
in reply to: vidanom

I imported raw files from a Faro scanner and a .ptx from Leica. The units are all fine in recap, it's just that when I export to .pts and import using Cyclone, it's like feet are expected and the actual .pts units are meters. Also, the .e57 that I export from ReCap will not open at all in Cyclone. 

Message 4 of 8
vidanom

Thanks, we’ll need to test this and verify where the issue is occurring

Please share if you encounter anything else that might help us out

Thank you,

Mitko

Message 5 of 8
yan.fu

For .ptx file, there is no way to set unit for indexing. ReCap supports the value of import files is represented in meters for structured data. For ASCII file, there is an option to set the unit of importing points.
Message 6 of 8
yan.fu
in reply to: yan.fu

Repost, there is typo in previous post. For .ptx file, there is no way to set unit of raw structured files. ReCap supposes the coordinate of points in raw files is represented in meters for structured data. For ASCII file, there is an option in ReCap to set the unit of importing points.
Message 7 of 8
Chris_Baze
in reply to: yan.fu

I'm not having problems importing data into ReCap, I'm having trouble with the data that I'm exporting. When I export a .pts (no option to export a .ptx that I'm aware of), and then import that data into Leica Cyclone, the units are off. I just need to find a way to correct the units to that it imports into Cyclone at the correct scale.

Message 8 of 8
cheliotes

Chris, I'm not sure if you ever got an answer to this. The solution is to change your units in Cyclone to meters - import the PTS - then change the Cyclone units back to feet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report