Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Productivity Nightmare

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
BuckWyckoff
446 Views, 10 Replies

Productivity Nightmare

What the heck did you guys do to this software?

I installed 1.3.5.1 a while ago and today is the first time a job came along for me to use it.  Everything was fine until I started deleting extraneous points from a registered, indexed and launched project.

In past releases, I highlighted points and hit the delete key.  The points highlighted and disappeared as fast as my fingers could move. I flew through the process.   Now, as I deleted the periphery and whittle in towards the object of scan interest, a spinning "Please Wait" icon appeares before the highlighted points are deleted.  First it was a few seconds, then several, then a minute, now several minutes.

I should be done in about 15 minutes and at the rate it's going (and degrading) it will be several hours.  99.9% of that time staring at the spinning icon.  I NEVER saw this until now.  My productivity went right down the dumper.  I don't want to be rude but, WHAT THE HECK DID YOU GUYS DO TO MESS UP THE SOFTWARE?  Something that wasn't broke got upgraded and broke good.  I'm beside myself.  If I want this kind of productivity, I'll go back to using Scene.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
p2sjames
in reply to: BuckWyckoff

hi is a known bug, apparently they are working on a fix.

basically, although you delete/region points it keeps regenerating them in the background and Recap ends up using 100% cpu usage.

scan2BIM - www.point2surveyors.com
Message 3 of 11
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: p2sjames

A. Nice to know they are working on it.

B. Hurry up!  This is a disaster.

C. A ridiculous programming "dropping of the ball" in the first place.

D. QC for basic proper functionality in-house before release so you don't you screw up our world with the obvious.

Message 4 of 11
richiee

Hi Buck,

Thanks as always for your honest feedback.  We read and consider all of it.

As mentioned, we know about this issue and are actively working on it.  The basic issue is that each new selection must carefully consider the state of the entire project, including the active limit box and every other clipped, deleted, or otherwise modified region.  As all of these objects intersect and interact, each additional one takes longer to process.

The issue is also magnified by the usual factors - scan count, point density, overlap.

This is definitely not a new problem - it's existed for at least since 1.1, possibly longer.  If you're all of a sudden noticing it, it’s likely due to the nature of the dataset and the delete/clip operations involved  - e.g. more operations overlap with each other and/or multiple scans, etc.

An imperfect workaround is to export the project to a unified RCS (use 1mm to minimize reduction).  This will ‘bake in’ the existing selections and let you start fresh.  The downside is the project becomes one ‘scan’.

Message 5 of 11
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: richiee

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your statements and I know this not to be the case.  Since 12-2013, I've processed 60 point cloud scans, some of them with 3X the number of scans involved than in the one that highlighted this issue.

In EVERY case, launching the project after registering and indexing....when I see the entire point cloud for the first time....deleting points was ridiculously fast.  Pan, zoom, rotate, window or lasso a point selection, immediate highlight, hit delete key and they disappear immediately.  Without fail.  Never a wink of hesitation at any time.  Limit box, no limit box, whatever.....never mattered.

The program changed with the last release.  I was running through air, now I'm running through molasses.  It changed.

Message 6 of 11
BuckWyckoff

Here's an image of me trying to delete a few points in the project that started all this fuss.

I opened performance stats to show the following (see attached):

I have 64GB of ram and only 5.43 GB are used in this loaded Recap project.

I've now been waiting 30 minutes for the "Please Wait" Icon to go away and the selected points to finish deleting. (Still waiting).

Only 2% CPU using on a 16 core, hyperthreaded BOXX system. 2014 computer with a Kepler 5000 graphics card.

The claim has been that system resources are tapped out, causing the delay. This shows that that is definitely not the case.

If this project requires Recap to do some extra "work" to accomplish the task of deleting a few points, it sure isn't taking advantage of the wealth of system resources at its disposal.

Message 7 of 11
p2sjames

indeed not using the resources, its looks to be only maxing one core out!
scan2BIM - www.point2surveyors.com
Message 8 of 11
richiee

Buck,

There was no claim that the system resources were being maxed, just that each successive selection can get slower based on some other factors. Again, this did not change in the last update. We've been able to reproduce the issue going back to versions from last year. This is not new.

Once again, we know that this is a problem that is impacting a number of people and it will be resolved soon. It's the highest priority issue in the engineering queue.

Message 9 of 11
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: richiee

The team gave me a call.  They know they have a recent problem.  They are cranking on it.  I look forward to getting back to work (and making money). 

Message 10 of 11
thommynator

I have the same Problem. With every deleteing of points it takes longer. Atm I wait hours to delete only a few points.

www.EnjoyBIM.de | Revit, Dynamo, BIM and more | High quality training and Consulting in Stuttgart

-----------------------------
Ihr fandet einen Beitrag hilfreich? Dann vergebt dafür doch Kudos!
Eure Frage wurde erfolgreich gelöst? Dann einfach auf den 'Als Lösung akzeptieren'-Button klicken!
Message 11 of 11
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: thommynator

I've uninstalled Recap and reinstalled from an older install that I'd saved (luckily).  Now, I'm currently running Recap 1.2.149.506 and I validated Recap Pro using my Recap 2014 serial number and product key, not my 2015 codes.

I loaded the previous project that bogged down with ridiculous waits when deleting points and now it's back to normal.  I can delete points willy-nilly as fast as I can window-drag and hit the delete key.  Whew!

I'm going to need some serious assurances before I can be convinced to update from here.

I don't know if ya'll have the ability to backtrack like I did, but the version I listed above will allow you to get back to work without the delays. 

Caveat: There are bug fixes that subsequent releases addressed.  They don't affect me.  I can't say as to whether or not this version has issues that affect you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report