Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import point cloud( .txt file )in Recap

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
laraind29
6578 Views, 8 Replies

Import point cloud( .txt file )in Recap

Hello,

I am trying to import point cloud scans from Faro (.txt file) to Recap. Recap let me select the file to import but nothing shows up in Recap. I think the import doesn't go thru. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Is there any step i am missing or settings?

Thanks for reading this over,

Larissa

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
vidanom
in reply to: laraind29

Hi Larissa,

There are various ways how these .txt files are being exported, that makes trouble with scaling and bringing those models in the right size in ReCap.

The .TXT file format you are trying to import probably has too small coordinates or too high.

To adjust this change the Units settings in the “Text Option” tab before indexing your files.

(Photo attached)

Try once by giving small value like 0.01 meters, or high like 100 meters.

If the file is not corrupted one option should result with 3D model in ReCap.

If you are noticing that the resolutions is lower than expected, you probably need to downsize or increase the value just by one 10th of the value, and your model should appear in full resolution.

Hope that will help,

Let us know,

Mitko

Message 3 of 9
laraind29
in reply to: vidanom

Do you know where I can get more info about point cloud in inventor? thanks a lot
Message 4 of 9
vidanom
in reply to: laraind29

Hi Larissa,

In this playlist there are some general videos about .RCS point clouds in other Autodesk products, but also at the end there are some longer workflow videos including Inventor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTn2_vfttnM&list=PLQOxJKbIe-76SMwuaBLU3qfrdBLqYJV2v

Some of them are a one year old using 2014 products, but they are pretty detailed.

Last year the whole Autodesk portfolio just started embedding .RCS point cloud features, so we are expecting more and more each year.

This is a link of our forth webinar that we just had yesterday, where all the latest features in AutoCAD 2015 where explained in the 30 minute session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFpQGg_NvRg&list=PLQOxJKbIe-77Y-1pLHsxOOM6IEJ6vVXUv&index=2

If you wish to join to one of our upcoming topics, you may use this ling to sign up:

http://recapsupport.typepad.com/blog/webinars.html

Best,

Mitko

Message 5 of 9

The way you import a Faro file into Recap is.

1. Make a Scan Point Cloud. Then save the file and exit Scene.

2. Open Recap and create a new project. chose the name and location you want the files to saved in (perferably in the scans folder).

The Scene files that go into Recap are .fls (individual scans) or .lsproj (scan project). I just go ahead and use the .lsproj file all .fls files will attach automatically this way.

3. If you have 2015 Recap skip the registration part and begin indexing yor scans (Because the scans are already registered comming in from Scene.)

4. Once the scans are done indexing save the Recap.

Ricardo Santibanez
Jr. Drafter

TMAC Technologies, LLC
990 N. Hwy. 287 Suite 106-198
Mansfield, TX 76063
Message 6 of 9
vidanom
in reply to: rsantibanez76063

That's correct.

Good job Ricardo.

It the .TXT file is not necessary, the preferred method from Scene is .FLS.

You can also use these FLS, or the RAW scans from the scanner directly into ReCap to try the registration process there.

Great stuff,

Mitko

Message 7 of 9
m.zidan.eg
in reply to: vidanom

Hello,

i need your help please as i import ply point cloud model to recap 22 and after index scan process i find the model in unassigned points

please i need your advice to assign/scan the point

Message 8 of 9
Pointdump
in reply to: m.zidan.eg

Hi @m.zidan.eg,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
It would be best to start your own thread. And please provide more details and screen shots of the problem.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 9
yan.fu
in reply to: m.zidan.eg

Hi @m.zidan.eg ,

You can use the selection tools to add the points into regions so that a region Id will be assigned to those points.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RECAP/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-015776E8-8A0E-463D-B313-332B5C586494

Thanks,

Yan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report