Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to register scans

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1785 Views, 11 Replies

How to register scans

How do you register scans in ReCap? I looked at the on-line manual and couldn't find anything on it.

thanks,

Brad

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rmshear
in reply to: Anonymous

ReCap does not yet register scans.  Please check back in a few weeks.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 12
goodsins
in reply to: rmshear

Q1>Does ReCap can register scans now? Q2>Cat it register models .rcs files made with Recap Photo? And how? Please exuse my English. Thank you

Message 4 of 12
vidanom
in reply to: goodsins

Yes, ReCap Pro can register scans, but not .RCS files.

At the moment it is compatible with structured scan data that's contained in .FLS, .PTX, .PTG and .ZFS file formats.

You can still use ReCap Pro for indexing all the other scan files.

To download the product use the following link:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/recap/free-trial

Best,

Miki

Message 5 of 12
mateuszgalabuda

Hello !

Could anyone please provide me an answer if I shouldn't be able to register XYZ scan files or am I doing something wrong?
I thought that there would be an opportunity to register XYZ files, but I can't find any way to do this.
That's pity if it's ot possible, as I could have asked to be given ZFS files... 😞

Message 6 of 12
vidanom
in reply to: mateuszgalabuda

Sorry for that.

There should be definitely a notification within ReCap that it can register only structured data as FLS, PTG, ZFS and PTX file formats.

Mitko

Message 7 of 12
mateuszgalabuda
in reply to: vidanom

Thanks Mitko 🙂
Finally I found piece of information according to that somewhere else too.

But I have one more question related to ZFS files.
When I try to index or register scans from ZFS it seems that ReCap is jamming on 0% importing files.
Is it common problem?
I'm trying to do this with that files: http://www.autonosys.com/kbr960.zip

Message 8 of 12
vidanom
in reply to: mateuszgalabuda

Thank you for sharing.

It’s freezing on my end too.

I’ll forward these to our Dev team and we’ll try to resolve this.

Can you please tell what was your process and from where these scan files are coming?

Thank you,

Mitko

Message 9 of 12
mateuszgalabuda

In fact I'm taking first steps in scanning processing while making some preparations for my master degree and I wanted to see how planar registration (I think it's planar not point-to-point) in ReCap works and compare it to CloudCompare.

But sadly, my teacher provided us only ASCII files and then not willing to wait for next classes I downloaded those ZFS from http://www.autonosys.com/downloads.htm

Maybe these files are simply corrupted but I have no ZFS decoder to check if the internal structure is valid 😞

So please don't take it too serious as I am not able to prove that those files are correct.

Thank you for your engagement,

Mateusz

Message 10 of 12
vidanom

Thank you,

I'll let you know as soon as we have something.

Best,

Mitko

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Hi guys,

The registration feature works great, and will miss it when gone in a day or so. I just completed registering 59 scans of a local large building (okay it was my 6th complete project revision), and the final registration plan view looked perfect and i had good to great results with each registration, but something happened in the indexing process and it appears to have scattered the scans randomly. Everything looked great until the indexing, any ideas?

It took me nearly 2 days registering the scans this version, is there any way to go back to before the indexing so I can check my alignments? such as a saved file? And is there any way to not have to go back to importing the files starting all over again? I have created 6 full projects to get to this point, so there should be some way to go back, at least in a future version. guess I am just used to the traditional Autodesk CAD / Design programs.

ReCap is fast, powerful and easy to learn. After this short trial, minus some minor hickups I plan on a purchase of the program. That said, the program could steal some ideas from Autodesks other products and insert some additional options, reports, a step to step save feature, easier coordinate translation (still trying to find out where I can enter specific coordinate values and appling them) and overall adjustment feature to the registration process (least squares?). lots of room to grow!

Thank you,

Message 12 of 12
vidanom

Thank you for the feedback. 

With the newer release you should be getting additional 30 days of trial, so that's good.

There are also some enhancements that should speed up the process.

With your scan alignment, definitely something strange has happened. When you view your card report, are all the scans in the Green, Yellow zone?

If that's fine and you think you have done a good job, I'll ask the Dev team which file you can share, so they can take a look at it.

To go back to registration, there is a button on the top home menu that will take you there. Into registration mode you can also go if you want to import new scan and align.

You can also combine two registration projects together, by importing an .rcp that had registration group inside.

Aligning two groups together can only be done in panoramic mode.

Let us know of your process,

Thank you,

Mitko

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report