QuickCAD

Dovetails
Message 21 of 49 (2,000 Views)

Re: Windows 7

07-14-2011 06:30 AM in reply to: JTAndrews.

Thanks for the feedback JT

Yes I do have another reason, I also have an older Alibre 3D modeling program that would run on the virtual XP mode. That program was very expensive, so Win Pro is gonna be a must for me.   As far as your not having any luck with Pro .... I assume you checked as to whether your cpu was virtualization compatible? Sounds like perhaps it wasn't.

j3r4c45
Message 22 of 49 (1,997 Views)

07-14-2011 04:11 PM in reply to: laurie2

sure you did. you are very smart and I applaud your every effort to keep the bodacious quick cad. remember I said we make up 50% of all designers and not every body is as smart as you. If autodesk would be generous to the rest of us who lack a little savvy or the few who are as lazy as I am that we could go to the store pick up a copy of the latest Quick Cad and put in a computer that runs any OS and at any speed and connect two lines. In a hundred words I said one .......greed. Look around you and you'll see what I mean live. No more SS benefits     no more jobs    unemployment rates      The need for greenbacks is the only reason Quick Cad is not completely alive and well. It's hanging by a thread on life support like you.

dalun
Message 23 of 49 (1,918 Views)

09-09-2011 03:51 PM in reply to: JTAndrews.

I have installed QuickCAD 8 on 2 PCs running Windows 7 32bit. One was 7-PRO and one was 7-enterprise.  No problems with either install and no XP compatability mode needed.

mike
Message 24 of 49 (1,889 Views)

09-26-2011 12:31 PM in reply to: JTAndrews.

I have tried Laurie2's approach. I am unable to get the quickcad.exe to run. Using Quickcak 6 millenium on Windows 7 64bit. I have copied into the same directory as on the old xp computer. The exe tries to run and just stalls. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a solution? Application error message is 0xc0000005. Computer is just out of the box and shows no signs of memory problems.

mike
Message 25 of 49 (1,887 Views)

09-26-2011 12:57 PM in reply to: mike

UPDATE! Used Laurie2's approach with a different Quickcad folder. It worked just fine. I think the first folder was from a failing drive. I also determined that it didn't care what name I put in after the message that it didn't install correctly.

danstrom
Message 26 of 49 (1,803 Views)

11-30-2011 06:39 PM in reply to: laurie2

well, here is my little contribution to this discussion -- which I am ecstatic about, by the way; I love Autosketch and use it constantly --

one, I took Laurie2's approach and copied my Autosketch folder from my old laptop over to my Win7 machine, where I was previously not able to install it.

two, I exported the Autodesk node from the old registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and imported it into the new machine.

three, when I ran Autosketch, I got the complaint about not being able to write to the registry;

four, I got the popup where I was able to type in my name;  (can't recall whether that happened before or after the registry popup),

five (here's my contribution), I right-clicked on Sketch.exe and chose "Run As Administrator"; I then got a UAC security confirmation about allowing this exe to make mods to my drive.  After running as administrator just this one time, I no longer get the popups complaining about the registry.  woohoo!

j3r4c45
Message 27 of 49 (1,798 Views)

12-01-2011 07:52 AM in reply to: Dovetails

read 14 of 26 contributor j3r4c45. read 21 of 26 contributor j3r4c45. read 22 of 26 contrbutor dalun.......... The same goes for autosketch. If a program cannot run on a new OS, Autodesk does not have to pay royalty to the original designer. You can alter anything for personal use (I applaud you) but if you advertise manipulation of such program and gain potential followers, you could be held liable by the original engineers. In 22 of 26 you notice 32 bit and not 64 bit. Windows 7 32 bit is ment for older 32 bit machines. If and when you acquire happy followers, any engineer can reverse engineer the program and reengineer it to work on any OS. You can be held liable, remember EULA. ..YOU SIGNED IT...   AGAIN ALL YOU SMART PEOPLE CAN VOICE YOUR DESIRES TO AUTODESK AND MAKE US ALL HAPPY CUSTOMERS. I LOVE QUICK CAD AND I WISH YOU 100% SUCCESS.

Henrywoj
Message 28 of 49 (1,777 Views)

12-06-2011 09:43 AM in reply to: bmiller025

I've been playing with this W7-Quickcad issue on and off for about a year. I've been using the XP mode, but that is a pain in the butt. Ihave the same problem as bmiller in message 18.  Missing acge15.dll. What can be done about that. Some of the other suggestions I've read here must be too complex for my simple mind. Anny more ideas.

bmiller025
Message 29 of 49 (1,770 Views)

12-06-2011 03:53 PM in reply to: Henrywoj

Thanks for your message regarding that DLL file. I have given up trying to get my QuickCad to work on my Windows 7 machine. I did discover though that I have an earlier version of the software, and am wondering if that could explain our problem. I have a Version 7, build 54 edition of the software. I looked into trying to track down a more updated one, and discovered I would have to spend in the realm of $150 for it. Not worth the trouble. I have a desktop machine running XP here, and it works just fine that way. Would love the convenience of being able to draft onsite, but its just not to be, so far.

j3r4c45
Message 30 of 49 (1,763 Views)

12-07-2011 07:16 AM in reply to: Dovetails

In the time that all of you have invested on something so small compared to Autodesk's apps, you could have gone back to school and acquired programming skills. All of you are so intelligent but very stupid. Either go with the program or create your own. If you can comprehend binary, then you got the basic. If you can't, then be patient something will come your way. The Ipod, and the Ipad or the likes were very glamorous and useful. Other gadgets are now surpassing them which will bring the prices down and you will probably be the market aim. You can't  but I can remember the beginning of the hand held calculator. They were very very expensive. Now you'd rather buy a pack of trident sugarless gum that's sitting right next to one and it never caught your attention. I started my computer aided drafting (CAD) on a 10MHz Texas Instrument running DOS 3.0. Micrsoft was on a crawl and who could dream that It would dominate one day. ( 24 yrs. ago). C'mon man, one of you could be a billionaire in that time.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community