MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handles - Accessing/setting 3D Display properties

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
quebrado
650 Views, 3 Replies

Handles - Accessing/setting 3D Display properties

I'm attempting to define some display properties on a Handle in MB 2013 and I'm struggling to access some of the properties.  In '3D Display' for the handle object, I want to turn on Visibility and then specify the look (e.g. to be a 'Light Cross'), but can't.

Using thehandle.PropertyList.Find( 'Show' ).Data I can set the visibility of the '2D Display' object and everything else within that category, however, under '3D Display' in properties (which is how I want it to appear), I can't get at 'Visibility', 'Color' and 'Translation Offset', or at least I don't know how to (as they exist with the same name in the 2D section).

When I set the look using this:

thehandle = FBHandle("HDL")
thehandle.Look = FBMarkerLook.kFBMarkerLookLightCross

Nothing updates in the properties for the handle, and I can't turn it on anyway. There also seems to be some objects missing from the 3d objects type that used to be there e.g. capsule?

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Any help appreciated; I'm pretty new to python both in/outside of MB.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
quebrado
in reply to: quebrado

Just noticed that the code snippet I've added is incorrect as it's setting a markers properties rather than those for a handle, but the issue with accessing the handles 3D properties I'm still unsure about.

Message 3 of 4
middlek
in reply to: quebrado

A good way to know how to find and work with the properties on an object, is to print them all out and see what's available to you:

from pyfbsdk import *

for lProp in thehandle.PropertyList:
    print lProp.Name

With this workflow, I can read through all of the property names in the console and see if anything seems fitting with what I am trying to set. So in this case "Handler3DModelLook" and "HandlerShow3DModel" seem to describe best what property I want to access.

Then I need to do a little testing to confirm, I will print the lProp.Data to see what kind of value it takes, for Handler3DModelLook, it says the Data is 0, so I need to provide an integer, so I test by setting the values till the UI property shows me the values I wanted, in this case 2 = Light Cross.

So for your exact question, I believe the code would look something like this:

from pyfbsdk import *

thehandle = FBHandle("HDL")

for lProp in thehandle.PropertyList:
    if lProp.Name == "Handler3DModelLook":
        lProp.Data = 2
    if lProp.Name == "HandlerShow3DModel":
        if lProp.Data == False:
            lProp.Data = True

This works for me in MotionBuilder 2014, hopefully it works for you in MotionBuilder 2013,

Hope this helps,

Kristine

KRISTINE MIDDLEMISS | SENIOR MOTION CAPTURE ENGINEER
Message 4 of 4
quebrado
in reply to: middlek

Cheers, that works in 2013.

I'd managed to list out the properties using your first suggestion but failed to recognize/set what I needed in the correct fashion seemingly. Either way, many thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report