Project Spark

Message 1 of 12 (1,076 Views)

Spark + Revit

1076 Views, 11 Replies
09-06-2011 11:35 AM

Spark and Revit don't work well together on the same PC. Spark files use .RVT extension...Why?

Windows Explorer gets confused and uses Spark as the default App to open .RVT files, probably because Spark was installed after Revit. Of course this doesn't work, because Spark can't read Revit files. The Windows Control Panel>Default Programs Utility doesn't work for this situation, probably because it now has two Apps that use the same extension and so it uses the last App installed. Revit people should be warned about this, because now I have another problem. I uninstalled Spark and that solved the default App problem, but now when I use Windows Explorer to view Revit files using large or medium icons Windows just shows the Revit Logo (icon) whereas before it would show a drawing or page from the actual project file.

Board Manager
Message 2 of 12 (1,060 Views)

Re: Spark + Revit

09-08-2011 07:12 AM in reply to: fawhitaker

To ensure the quality of our releases, we have a hard requirement that the Revit data format cannot be changed after our data dictionary freeze deadline.  Project Spark wasn’t even a project until after this freeze. Project Spark is a technology preview where only linking is possible. Should feedback indicate that it should become a full-fledged product, then interoperability with the Revit family would certainly be considered.

Even if we had been able to make the file formats compatible, users wouldn’t necessarily have loved the behavior.  Windows is going to pick one of the two applications to be the default for opening .rvt files, and it’s going to not be the desired application for some fraction of the users.  The Project Spark target user is not a user of Revit. Typically people have one or the other on their systems. In any case, you can reset your settings in the OS to use the application you want.  I hope this information explains our thinking.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 12 (1,053 Views)

09-08-2011 09:31 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

OK…..You say that typically people have one or the other (Spark or Revit), but not both. I agree. That’s one very likely scenario. What about the people who use Building Design Suite Premium? They have three different Revits. Windows Explorer seems to use the last Revit App that was used as the .rvt default program. In Windows Explorer, my Windows 7-64 bit OS doesn’t make a distinction between the different Revits. If you right click on a *.rvt file and choose Open With…Windows says “Autodesk Revit” is the recommended default program. I think that organizations that use BDS Premium should have a policy of only opening *.rvt files from inside the intended Application and not from Explorer. Is anybody at Autodesk looking at this behavior?

Employee
loboarch
Message 4 of 12 (1,026 Views)

09-12-2011 05:28 AM in reply to: fawhitaker

fawhitaker wrote:

OK…..You say that typically people have one or the other (Spark or Revit), but not both. I agree. That’s one very likely scenario. What about the people who use Building Design Suite Premium? They have three different Revits. Windows Explorer seems to use the last Revit App that was used as the .rvt default program. In Windows Explorer, my Windows 7-64 bit OS doesn’t make a distinction between the different Revits. If you right click on a *.rvt file and choose Open With…Windows says “Autodesk Revit” is the recommended default program. I think that organizations that use BDS Premium should have a policy of only opening *.rvt files from inside the intended Application and not from Explorer. Is anybody at Autodesk looking at this behavior?

You make a good point.  I actually see this problem at the college where I teach Revit .  The files always want to open with Revit structure because it was the last "Revit" installed.  I will share this with the project team for further consideration.

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience
MattProductspec
Message 5 of 12 (903 Views)

10-05-2011 08:22 PM in reply to: fawhitaker

Here is what I've noticed when opening Revit files...

The behavior is when opening a project or family from Windows explorer the last version of the software you had open is the version/flavour that runs.  (this may needed to tested after a restart where the latest install may be the default).

It's safer in a multi-platform environment to open the version\flavour fo Revit you require before running off to the project folder and double-clicking madly and hoping Windows 7 is psychic.  Or even drag and drop your file onto the version you want to use, shortcut or open Revit program.

my 2c

The only real question about Spark + Revit is if, after commercial release, families can be shared between both platforms with any upgrading of files??

Message 6 of 12 (847 Views)

10-12-2011 12:00 PM in reply to: MattProductspec

After using Spark for a while I can only imagine that this will become the "Acad Lite" of Revit.  Is that the intended purpose of Spark, or is there another position for this product? As a part-time instructor I could see some educational usefulness or for the typical arch firm that does not do much conceptual study or collaboration.

Is Spark any less hardware intensive than Revit or do you still need terabytes of RAM and 64bit operating systems with multiple core processors?  I can also see the benefit of not having rendering if the graphics card requirements can be reduced to run Spark.  

Is there any intent to have Revit and Spark be able to share files in the future, as in Revit 2013 and Spark 2013?

In terms of opening files, we always recommend starting the desired program then open the file within the program. 

Thanks

Employee
loboarch
Message 7 of 12 (823 Views)

10-17-2011 09:07 AM in reply to: cwalls

I am glad to hear you can see some value to the tools offered in Project Spark to typical arch firms not needing conceptual tool or require extensive collaboration.

The hardware requirements currently are basically the same as Revit, however the project sizes could be smaller and reduce the hardware demands somewhat.

Jeff Hanson
revit4mac
Message 8 of 12 (788 Views)

11-01-2011 08:43 AM in reply to: loboarch

I don't understand when you say small firms do not need conceptual modeling! Of course we do. We at least will have to use Sketchup for massing and visualization. Somewhere along the line we have to do sun studies since solar gain is very important to understand. Small projects and homes are increasingly getting built to energy efficiency standards and 2030 is coming. I see all of these as important. I guess Autodesk has conceeded the market to Sketcup on the massing an schematic design front. It is a shame since I think they could do even better and create a product to compete with SU and have tie ins to Spark or incorporate it. 

Valued Contributor
milton.fitzgerald
Message 9 of 12 (501 Views)

02-03-2012 08:45 PM in reply to: fawhitaker

Thanks for the information. I'll make sure not to mix the 2 systems. I also did not see the system requirements.

So my question is, "Will this work in a 32 bit windows XP environment?"

Milt (a.k.a.: Drafter1981)

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
Employee
loboarch
Message 10 of 12 (495 Views)

02-05-2012 04:58 AM in reply to: fawhitaker

I am glad to hear you are interrested in giving Project Spark a try.  To answer the question Spark will run on 32 bit Windows XP systems.

Jeff Hanson

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Visit Autodesk Labs
Autodesk Labs is home for new prototypes, experiments, applications, and technologies.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community