Project Galileo

dipaolo
Message 11 of 14 (273 Views)

Re: coordinate system

12-22-2010 01:35 AM in reply to: dipaolo

OK.

In the default new project window, I could see only cs previously loaded.

To "load" other cs, I typed directly cs-code; doing this I could load and see all cs like map3d.

...little experience...

I could load my custom cs too, as chris suggested.

now i'm ready.

thanks

Active Contributor
david.lawrence
Message 12 of 14 (260 Views)

Re: coordinate system this may need to be a diffrent thread

12-22-2010 11:25 AM in reply to: dipaolo

I have a few questions that might need to be in a separate thread but it deals with coordinate systems.

1. My gis group has defined a custom coordinate projection. Can in simply point to a PRJ file they gave me with the data to define a new projection in the program? It would be preferred to use their projection rather than re defining it in civil 3d and possibly creating a typo error.
  2. I use the civil visualization exention (VSP) with 3ds max design. In that program when it exports the data from civil and imports it into max it creates a false easting and false northing to move the model closer to 0,0. This is great for modeling and getting data into 3ds max, but creates problems if I then model something new and try to export back to something like Galileo because now the 3ds file is not at true coordinates. Is there some way to make these 2 programs talk so they know the shift that has been applied to my data?
Employee
tstanev
Message 13 of 14 (258 Views)

12-22-2010 11:44 AM in reply to: david.lawrence

1. You can use that PRJ file when importing your data into Galileo (assuming that data is in something like SHP format). It is not really necessary to use your custom coordinate system for the Galileo database itself (leaving it at LL84 is fine), as Galileo will automatically offset things to be close to 0 when creating its 3d view of things, and will also use its own projection for that.

2. As long as you know the origin and offset, you can apply it manually when importing the 3ds model into Galileo. It will likely not happen automatically as the origin and offset would be stripped from the 3ds model itself.

Active Contributor
david.lawrence
Message 14 of 14 (256 Views)

12-22-2010 12:15 PM in reply to: tstanev

thanks

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Visit Autodesk Labs
Autodesk Labs is home for new prototypes, experiments, applications, and technologies.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community