Project Galileo

Contributor
gutfreund
Message 1 of 7 (462 Views)

Drape of GeoTiff on GeoTiff DEM

462 Views, 6 Replies
05-12-2011 02:27 PM

We imported a large GeoTiff DEM (composed from tiles from USGS GeoTiff). No problem with importing this elevation as a raster.

Now we want to drape imagery rasters (also geoTiff) on top of this. The import file wizard asked us for each tile (and there were 64 of them) to specify the units for height (hey, there is no height, this are 2D image drapes!). I said meters, and then it prompted me 64 more times for the color band to use for height (well, i said blue).

When done, the program crashed and repeated openings of the project also crashed it.

Are image drapes supported from GeoTiff Rasters?

Contributor
gutfreund
Message 2 of 7 (447 Views)

Re: Drape of GeoTiff on GeoTiff DEM

05-17-2011 09:35 AM in reply to: gutfreund

A bit of follow up.

I tried just a straight import into a new project of a GeoTiff (aerial imagery) and it asked for both a height units and field. It seems it thinks all GeoTiff rasters are DEM and should have height.

Is there a way I can get Galileo to import a GeoTiff as an aerial image and then use it as an image drape over an elevation?

(I know, this sounds real obvious, and a newbie question, but I am an not finding the solution).

Employee
cjandrews22
Message 3 of 7 (442 Views)

05-17-2011 02:03 PM in reply to: gutfreund

Hello,

The workflow in the tech preview version of Galileo is a bit painful for this kind of thing.

Did you try to import the files as "Terrain Textures" and not as "Terrain Surfaces"?  You should be able to even import a GeoTIFF with elevation information as an overlay, though I don't know how useful it will appear.

Thanks,
Chris

Senior Product/Product Line Manger
Media and Entertainment Cloud Services
Autodesk
Contributor
gutfreund
Message 4 of 7 (438 Views)

05-17-2011 02:26 PM in reply to: cjandrews22

These GeoTiffs are aerial imagery, they have no elevation. But neverthelss, the drop-down is not giving me the opportunity to import them as TerrainTextures, only as TerrainSurfaces.

[I do have a seperate file that I am importing at as Terrain Surface, but that is in GRD format]. I think I found a problem there also, in that this GRD has areas of negative elevation (Bathymetric data) and your importer is clamping the DEM to 0 for the negative values.

Employee
cjandrews22
Message 5 of 7 (436 Views)

05-17-2011 02:45 PM in reply to: gutfreund

Hmm.... Is there any way you can send us some of the data?

Thanks,
Chris

chris (dot) andrews (at) autodesk (dot) com

Senior Product/Product Line Manger
Media and Entertainment Cloud Services
Autodesk
Contributor
gutfreund
Message 6 of 7 (431 Views)

05-18-2011 08:38 AM in reply to: cjandrews22

I tried to send you email, (I checked "Request Read Response" in the email options):

Your message

To:   .........

Subject:   

was deleted without being read on 5/18/2011 11:31 AM.

david.roy
Message 7 of 7 (392 Views)

06-21-2011 05:35 PM in reply to: gutfreund

Hi gutfreund

I tried doing this too, and couldn't remember how, but as Chris pointed out, you need to select the TERRAIN_TEXTURE as type, BUT when importing, this only allows for TERRAIN_SURFACE in the drop-down.

THE TRICK:  go a step back (from the start), file > Import from files and check out the file types drop down.  the first line including the geotiff, jpeg, ecw, etc if for TERRAIN SURFACE.  (i kept selecting this without reading/understanding the meaning of terrain surface).  the line below in TERAAIN TEXTURE.  select this as files of type, and you should get the result you're after.

you can't nominate if it's a surface or texture after this point, which was my mistake.

hope this helps.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Visit Autodesk Labs
Autodesk Labs is home for new prototypes, experiments, applications, and technologies.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community