The technology preview is available for download.
Make sure you login to Autodesk Labs, and then click on download in the upper right. If you forget to login, you will be prompted to login, but then you will have to click on Download again. This Labs site defect will be fixed in the future.
Some great improvements here, this works so much better than any previous solution that i've tried, including static goole earth images, or or slow performance of ArcGIS for AutoCAD. The resampling is much more fluid, and operates more like a maps tool in a web browser, which is great. This will make it so much easier to add context to engineering graphics, and allow us to be able to see more of the big picture when designing.
As a few quick notes;
- In order to see the CAD informaiton, it would be great to be able to always send these images (all raster connections) to the back of the draw order, and stay there (or enable transparency).
- It would be great to be able to use Raster Design tools with these maps
- It would also be cool to see this extend to products like AIM, or connections to 3ds Max Design civil view, AutoCAD WS, etc. to easily bring in aerial imagery
- Other base map options would be great, like topo map or simple grey maps
- There seems to be an issue on occacsion with the image disappearing after panning
- I like the GreyScale style option, which will be helpful with exhibits, but it seems to create "dead pixel" looking spots
It's be great to see this rolled out as a formal feature, and hope to see it in more Autodesk infrastructure applications. Thanks for the great tools