Community
Maya Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya SDK topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya tools are using comma on floating point numbers in their script

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ricardo.jpg
893 Views, 3 Replies

Maya tools are using comma on floating point numbers in their script

Currently using Maya 2014 - Linux64 along Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit..

BUG:
When I try to use a tool like for examle the extrude tool from edit mesh section to extrude a face from an object, maya raises a syntax error on script editor:

polyExtrudeFacet -constructionHistory 1 -keepFacesTogether 1 -pvx 2,611262724 -pvy 3,533006417 -pvz 1,212884358 -divisions 1 -twist 0 -taper 1 -off 0 -thickness 0 -smoothingAngle 30 pCube1.f[4];
// Error: //
// Error: Line 0.68: Syntax error //

With a little research I found that the error is related to the formatation of the floating point numbers (http://www.creativecrash.com/forums/modeling/topics/extrude-doesn-39-t-work), in other words MEL script use dots instead of commas on floating point numbers.. Is there any way to fix this bug permantly instead of fixing it manually, like for example copy the code, replacing the commas with dots and run it? This way is really slow and clunky..

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sbjstraw
in reply to: ricardo.jpg

This isnt really a bug, using "." to seperate digits its just the standard way of writing decimal numbers in English.

Message 3 of 4
thebarx

I have same error :P, I don't know If I have to reinstall.

I am not an English User, Should I set variables?

I did this sudo sh -c "echo 'setenv LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8' >> /usr/autodesk/maya2014-x64/bin/maya2014"

I errased maya folder from Home, and, well problem still persist

ATI Radeon HD 4290 - Propietary Drivers
Catalyst 12.6 Xorg Xserver 1.11.3
Autodesk Maya 2014 Student Version- Linux
Autodesk Mudbox 2015 Student Version- Linux
Message 4 of 4
thebarx

I Found the mistake, is all about the Language Settings.

If you're using Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, just go to system preferences, and check that your language settings is using for example:

One Hundred, and decimals, the decimals MUST me separated as with "."

I am a Mexican user, so the Spanish setting for my language is wrong, we separate decimals with dots, not with commas, as Spain and European Users do.
So, my solution was to switch to Spanish of United States, that is correct One.

Now, you have to check if the Language Settings of your OS, separates decimals as with periods, dots, you know what I mean, because, Maya has not translation to Another Language that is not English, Japanese or Chinese, then the Rest of the World users have to change Language settings to make Maya to not have mistakes when extrudes, and creates uv's, because it uses floats on Mel scripts.

So, good luck, change your language settings and have fun.

ATI Radeon HD 4290 - Propietary Drivers
Catalyst 12.6 Xorg Xserver 1.11.3
Autodesk Maya 2014 Student Version- Linux
Autodesk Mudbox 2015 Student Version- Linux

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report