Product Design Suite IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Product Design Suite with the Development Team.
16 Kudos
pfwhite

Product Design Suite Update Manager

by Employee pfwhite on ‎10-10-2012 05:59 PM

The Product Design Suite should have an update manager that automatically searches for hotfixes and service packs. These updates could be presented in the Launchpad application for the user to apply the updates as this would like.

This would be a better way for users to become aware of and install all the various service packs and hotfixes that may affect the numerous programs they have available in the Product Design Suite.

Good news! The 2014 release of Product Design Suite includes a method to notify users of updates. Check out the Launch Pad in Product Design Suite 2014 and let us know how it works for you! Thanks, Janna Spicer, Product Manager for Product Design Suite
Comments
by rkeller on ‎10-31-2012 08:07 PM

Fantastic Idea!  

At a minimum put a link in the help pull down that would check for updates and update the program.  But to be able to globally update all the installed programs would be Fantastic!

by Employee pfwhite on ‎01-02-2013 11:10 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Valued Contributor pmascaro on ‎01-03-2013 10:53 AM

From an IT stand point you really do not want all of your users pulling down these updates directly. They are large. There should however be a way to sign up for e-mail notifications. Like a list of all of your applications w/ a check box for what applications w/in your suites that you would like to be notified on w/ a main check all box at the top. This way the CAD Admin or IT Admin incharge of updating can pull down the updates and distribute them as needed.

I agree that "heres the link to the update page, keep chekcing back" solution to updating is not a good one at all....

by Valued Contributor pmascaro ‎01-03-2013 10:57 AM - edited ‎01-03-2013 11:01 AM

I'm logged into AutoCAD 360 from within my Civil 3D and it tells me if I'm current or not. (If/when I check it, but I still have to check it to know...)

But I actully do not like that option because others in my dept. can check it and download the update directly into their AutoCAD and tie up bandwidth pulling down muliple installs to each work station.

Ideally, a notification system where I can be notified when an update is realesed and pull down one install and distribute as needed would be great.

The main thing being, keep us informed.... Don't make us fish...

by Valued Contributor autocad.phil on ‎02-16-2013 08:45 PM

Yeah, the one-click search/install will be great!  The Adobe and Microsoft guys do it and it's easy to update a bloatload of software:smileyhappy:  I reinstalled this Autodesk Product Design Suite the other day and had to search/think/install many updates manually.  (Yes i know it shows up in the top-right corner in the Autodesk 360 notifications but sure would like it to search for all installed Autodesk softwares and not just the one that's in use at the moment.)  Thanks.

by Employee jannaspicer on ‎04-24-2013 04:18 PM
Status changed to: Solution Provided
Good news! The 2014 release of Product Design Suite includes a method to notify users of updates. Check out the Launch Pad in Product Design Suite 2014 and let us know how it works for you! Thanks, Janna Spicer, Product Manager for Product Design Suite
by Valued Contributor autocad.phil on ‎05-09-2013 08:53 PM

Hi Janna, I tried it a few days ago and just a few minutes ago.  It says everything is up-to-date.  However we know today there is a new "Update 1 for Inventor 2014" release.  However it does it not show up in the launch pad after a live search.  (Inventor 2014 says it's up to date too.)  I think users normally look for all patches/updates and not just the big ones.  Can we get the launch pad and Inventor to detect/install the smaller but yet important patches too?  Thanks.

by steinar.sorem on ‎06-26-2013 05:12 AM

Hi. Please laets do it so the application close when using the update functionality from launchpad. I work as cad adm. and all users come to an error when installing updates in case that they do not close the cad application.

by MikeMontanino9062 on ‎09-27-2013 09:56 AM

Solution provided in 2014 suite is not even close to solving this problem. First, it doesn't list all updates for all products, I tried it today, it showed updates for Inventor, 3ds max and Navisworks, nothing for Mudbox, Revit Interoperability, Showcase, ReCap or 360, I checked manually and there were updates for all mentioned.

Second, it took me half a day to patch just one machine. I have 5 to go, but imagine if I had to do 50 or a 100. This is unacceptable.

We need a solution that will scan computers for all Autodesk products, lists available updates and hotfixes and pushes these to clients. A central management server, something like System Center Configuration Manager. Or perhaps integrate it into SCCM, or provide update catalog, Adobe, Dell and HP does it already. Or a client update utility, similar to Windows update mechanism. Searching manually for updates for each individual product is simply not an option.

by Employee jannaspicer on ‎09-27-2013 11:18 AM

Hi Mike, thank you for the feedback.  I hear two problems:

1. You don't want to hunt for updates, big or small.  Even with 2014, not all available updates are presented to the user, and you want to see more than just the "big" ones.

2. As a CAD manager, once you do know about the updates, it takes too much time to update each user's machine manually.  You want a method to push updates for all Autodesk products to users and let them update themselves. Is that right?

In the discussion thread, I've also observed concern from other CAD managers about "letting" users install updates anytime they want. Are you concerned about that?

Thanks,

Janna

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea