Printing and Plotting

Printing and Plotting

Valued Contributor
ajohnson
Message 1 of 14 (2,339 Views)

Wipeouts not working in PDF in AC2013

2339 Views, 13 Replies
01-11-2013 09:41 AM

I thought we had this issue finally solved with AutoCAD 2012. When printing a PDF file wipeouts were working correctly. But then we replaced the machines with W7-64bit machines and started using AC2013. Now the wipeouts are not wiping out the background objects when you print using the "DWG to PDF.pc3" plotter.  

You can get around it by using the "Print As Image" check box in Adobe, but the end user of the file may not be aware of this fix and then his pdf prints do not read correctly.

I've copied the DWG to PDF .pc3 and .pmp files from AC2012 to AC2013, but that didn't fix the issue.

There are posts going back to 2001 regarding this issue and I'd really like to have it fixed.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 14 (2,334 Views)

Re: Wipeouts not working in PDF in AC2013

01-11-2013 09:52 AM in reply to: ajohnson

LineMerge settings in the PDF pc3 file are the same in both versions?

Or is your wipeout hovering below the content (or are you in paperspace)?

Seems to be working just fine here so far.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
ajohnson
Message 3 of 14 (2,328 Views)

01-11-2013 11:46 AM in reply to: pendean

Line Merge are both set to Overwrite.

The lines to be masked are behind the wipeout. We are plotting from Paperspace.

Good for you but not us.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 14 (2,324 Views)

01-11-2013 11:55 AM in reply to: ajohnson

Can you post a sample DWG file where this fails for you? Have it ready to plot (save all your parameters in the layout that fails for you so we can use it as is). Delete any sensitive info and purge the file first of course.

Valued Contributor
ajohnson
Message 5 of 14 (2,321 Views)

01-11-2013 12:13 PM in reply to: pendean

Now it appears that it is related to the Kip printer. Same pdf file printed to an HP 5200 is fine.

But the problem is still with the end user. If they have a Kip printer, the results look bad.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 14 (2,318 Views)

01-11-2013 02:35 PM in reply to: ajohnson

AutoCAD (the program) won't fix a limitation of 3rd party devices or their drivers: sorry. You'll find the same limitation on older HP printers/plotters/drivers too, the advice has always been to acquire newer devices or drivers if at all practical.

Try a search in the older AutoCAD forums and the print-plot forum: they may list the actual KIP device you use and they may have a solution (you did not state which one, otherwise I would have attempted a search for you).

alee
Message 7 of 14 (2,292 Views)

01-29-2013 03:37 PM in reply to: ajohnson

We have same issue at our office. we have same setting as 2012 version on 2013  and it only prints wrong on 2013 version. hard copies come out fine...it's just pdf files.. any idea how to fix this?

Valued Contributor
ajohnson
Message 8 of 14 (2,282 Views)

01-30-2013 05:32 AM in reply to: alee

What printer are you printing the PDF files on?

We use a KIP 3000 printer. Discovered if you change the printer properties from KIP GL to Kip Script the wipeouts started working fine again.

alee
Message 9 of 14 (2,274 Views)

01-30-2013 09:40 AM in reply to: ajohnson

Thank you for your reply. I'm kinda new to the plot settings and all. we used to have a guy in our office who dealt with these sort of issues, but no longer, so i'm learning things as issues come up. 

Anyways, for PDF files, don't think we use are printer to make pdfs. We just use dwg to pdf.pc3 (pdf eplot - by autodesk)...wipeout comes out properly if we change the merge control to lines overwrite, but then we have to make sure all the layers we use are in proper order. reminds you we had same setting on 2012. wonder what changed between 2012 & 2013.

PrinterAmy
Message 10 of 14 (1,737 Views)

08-08-2013 05:04 PM in reply to: ajohnson

I own a reprographics company, and we run into this problem periodically.  It started a few years ago, and has recently gotten more common.  I have never found a satisfactory solution.  It's not just a problem with one type of printer; after a lot of pain, unhappy customers, and trial and error, we've narrowed it down to something related to the way AC is creating PDF files.  Since we're printers and not drafters, I have no idea how to solve this problem.  I'm desperately searching for a solution that doesn't involve CAD settings (because we can't edit our customers' files)...perhaps an alternative PDF reader/editor?  Most customers provide their files to us as PDF, and we open those using Acrobat Pro.

Not all customers have problems with their files.  Maybe those who do not are not using wipeouts?  I can't say for certain, as we only have the PDF files to look at.

We see many different errors with files that include wipeouts:

1) File prints, but wipeouts print as black rectangles.

2) File takes hours (literally hours) to spool to printer, but eventually appears to print correctly.

3) File becomes huge upon spooling (e.g. I just worked with a 13MB file that turned into a 280GB file in the print spooler) and may or may not ultimately print.  Usually this causes an error.

4) File prints, but wipeouts are totally missing from the prints.

We have both postscript and non-postscript drivers for our machines.  All are current versions.  We have new equipment (less than 3 years old or newer).  Most files print okay on our HP wide format machine, but this is not a solution, because we really need to be able to print on our high-speed, black and white machines, NOT on a slow, color, inkjet machine.  We use Xerox wide-format production equipment.  Our colleagues using Oce equipment run into this problem as well, although some of them have some type of Oce-specific RIP software that seems to solve the issue.

We have a few methods for getting these files to print:

1) Open the files in Photoshop (which rasterizes all images) and print from the resulting TIFF file.  (Note this is NOT a solution for printing a large document...it may take several minutes to open a single page from a file this way.)

2) Print the document one page at a time.  Sometimes this works; sometimes it doesn't.  When it doesn't work, pages using wipeouts will print with black squares in place of the wipeouts.

Obviously neither of these solutions is really a "solution".  Does ANYONE have a suggestion that might help us?  As I said before, we have no control over how the files are created by our customers, so I am only looking for solutions at the end stage where we've received a PDF and need to print it.  Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.