Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 64bit lacks plotter drivers - any workarounds?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
eric
3200 Views, 13 Replies

Windows 7 64bit lacks plotter drivers - any workarounds?

Presently I am replacing our workstations with upgraded hardware and BDS 2014. We have a Kyrocera KM-4850w that has worked well for us on the 32bit platform. Problem is there are no drivers for Win7 64bit (they do have HDI and WinPrint drivers but I'm not familiar with them or how to use them or if they would work for me). I have implemented a work-around using DWG TrueView and a virtualized XP installation. It works well in testing. The hardware guys tell us we need a new plotter to get things squared-away. Is my work-around a decent solution? What other solutions might there be? Thanks in advance for any insight.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: eric

The manufacturer does not offer Win7 drivers? What do they recommend? That would be the correct process.
Did you really look with Windows 7's option? These two videos may get you started on that search:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-and-install-printer-drivers
Message 3 of 14
eric
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the reply. No, the manufacturer apparently doesn't supply drivers. My local KM rep confirmed this and has recommended a new plotter (not a surprise). I assume Kyocera is phasing out this model. I'm a little miffed at my rep as he assured me that this wasn't a problem when we were planning and then didn't provide any support when the time came to implement. Yes, I went through the steps outlined by MS for locating drivers to no avail. The driver is one issue, the plotter apparently uses a incompatible proprietary port monitor - a standard TCP/IP port won't work. So even if I could install a driver that works getting the port situation sorted out will still need to be addressed. I'm afraid that the only other solution might involve sharing some generic device for which all the machines will already have drivers being shared on a 32bit platform that can communicate with the plotter. I'm testing this now using postscript -> KM-4850w.
Message 4 of 14
nestly2

I know how you feel because I had to discontinue using my previous printer due to no Win7 support, but have you at least tried the ones provided by Kyocera?

http://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.eu/index/service/dlc.false._.KM4850W._.EN.html

Message 5 of 14
entropist

When I google "KM-4850w driver", the first entry is a link to the kyocera (.eu) download page that seems to list the driver you seek.

I lack a kyocera plotter to test it with though... so maybe it's not that simple 🙂

Message 6 of 14
eric
in reply to: entropist

Yes, I visited Google prior to coming here 😉 Perhaps someone making use of the Winprint drivers could explain how they're used? I'm running in circles attempting to implement using those drivers. I'm sure I'm missing something.
Message 7 of 14
pendean

You'll need to contact the source of those drivers for help with them: is there a limitation on seeking technical support from the source?

What is your exact challenge? Unlike your statement, the manufacturer is the one supplying this Winprint driver. I don't think your issue is the downloaded driver, the one I downloaded has a detailed PDF file on how to install nd use it.. is there an option to pay your local rep to visit on site and assist?

Message 8 of 14
eric
in reply to: pendean

Yes, I read through those. Not sure what ICP is but I assume it's a service running on the plotter. Regardless, the management interface on the plotter requires the use of a seriously outdated version of Java as well as an ancient version of IE to run. Even after digging up those requirements when I visit the url for the interface I get an "unable to display page" error. I can telnet into the plotter but that's all the interaction I get - no FTP, etc. I've tried to reset the server in the plotter via telnet to no avail. I understand that the printer supports multiple OS's through LPR, etc. However, without an interface I cannot configure these services. At this point I'm rolling with the aforementioned solution for the sake of productivity. I've burned time enough and without the ability to configure things it's moot point anyway. I will contact my local rep to come troubleshoot the Cadmaster controller or the plotter's OS (Windows NT 4.0) which is where I believe the problem may lie. Perhaps after that has been cleared I can implement the ICP solution.
Message 9 of 14
bryce.thelin

If it's an Internet Explorer issue with configuring the plotter, try setting the plotter URL in IE for compatibility view. That might get it to work.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 10 of 14
eric
in reply to: bryce.thelin

I got it working a few weeks back.

There was a new version of the Kyocera port monitor software that I
required. However, a call to their support was necessary to get that
little piece of software email to me. After that, the Vista drivers
installed flawlessly. I also had my technician replace the faulty hard
drive in the plotter (3rd drive in eight years) so now the plotter is
flying with a brand new installation of Windows NT 4.0! I'm not sure
that was keeping me from plotting but it was definitely annoying not
being able to configure anything or monitor the queue.

Moral of the story: I should have called Kyocera earlier and not relied
upon my local guys for this type of support - even when I pay them for it.
Message 11 of 14
bryce.thelin

Excellent! I am happy to hear you got it working, and thanks for posting back what you did. It's sure to help someone else.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 12 of 14
grafica2015

Dear Mr. bruce.thelin ,

I`m from Argentina and I`m having the same problem as you had. My Windows 7 64 bits cannot comunicate with the  km4850w. I have tried Vista version of the KM Port Monitor unsuccessfully.  I am running out of options.. is there a possibility that you could email me the port monitor version you have? I am afraid my local rep cannot help me more than it has.

I think you know this, but maybe it is useful for you: the HDI drivers for Autocad up to 2011 version for km4800 (the newer model) work very well with the km4850. I have plotted thousands of copies (in windows xp, 32 bits, of course!).

Thanks in advance.

If I can be helpful in some way for you, please let me know.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Marco Maiulini

Message 13 of 14
bryce.thelin
in reply to: grafica2015

I'm sorry Marco, I don't actually have this printer, so I can't give you any details on the driver configuration. The solution from the original poster was to update to new Kyocera software, so I would suggest contacting them.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 14 of 14
grafica2015
in reply to: bryce.thelin

Dear Bryce, I have managed to find a solution! thank you, It`s the way you
went. The KM Series printer port.
Thank you very much for your answer! regards, Marco

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost