Printing and Plotting

Contributor
chrisNyfield
Message 1 of 9 (3,521 Views)

Unpredictable visual styles- do not plot as displayed

3521 Views, 8 Replies
02-16-2011 09:33 PM

Problem:

Viiewports in AutoCAD 2011 are not properly plotted as they are displayed when using Hidden line visual style, as well as other visual styles. Simply put, the visual style we se in paper space does not apply to a plot or plot preview. We have tired hidden, 3d hidden, legacy hidden in shade plot and visual style. Making changes to the style makes no changes to the plotted result, it's almost like there is some kind of plot cache

We've tried deleting temp files in app data, restarting, and re-opening. no luck. Regen, Redraw, still no luck. Hide precision to 1, again, still no luck. We've tried using something like shades of gray, and we get hidden, but with some object gone.

We're aware of problems using visual styles and the nvidia performance driver, so we've let that go completely. The only thing that solves this is to completely nuke the viewport, and rebuiilt.

Does anyone know a solution, we're dying here!!!!!

System Topology:

BOXXTECH 8500 Extreme

12 Core Intel Xeon

12GB RAM

Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

PNY Quadro 4000 (Driver259.12)

Not using nvidia performance driver at all

Maya Version 2011 SP1 64BIT (09/06/2010) (used in Workflow)

AutoCAD 2011 64BIT  E.115.0.0

FBX 2011.3.1

(Problems also duplicated on 2nd machine with same specs except processor Qty)

Other Troubleshhoting steps taken:

1. Plottting Directly to Brother MFC6890CDW, Same failure

2. Duplicating Steps on Second machine with same topology (minus 6 processors) same failure

3. FBX Export using versions FBX2010, FBX2009, same failure

4. Tried Creating a new visual style from scratch, same inconsistency.

Other Bugs we've noticed:

1. AutoCAD has numerous glitches and crashes if we also use Stardock's ObjectDock v2. The results of the above tests were all conducted with ObjectDock OFF. Autocad will ALWAYS crash when closed with Stardock ON.

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 2 of 9 (3,477 Views)

Re: Unpredictable visual styles- do not plot as displayed

02-17-2011 02:14 PM in reply to: chrisNyfield

Um I am assuming you tried right-clicking the viewport in question, and setting the visual style to plot from there?

Another thing that pops to mind is that in the plotting DBox, there is a setting for how to handle the visual style of a viewport when plotting...

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
chrisNyfield
Message 3 of 9 (3,469 Views)

02-17-2011 05:57 PM in reply to: chrisNyfield

Right click on viewport? Don't see such an option for visual styles? We normally right click on the LAYOUT to actually plot the sheet. I am missing something?

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 4 of 9 (3,448 Views)

02-19-2011 05:41 AM in reply to: chrisNyfield

I don't know when they started doing it, but nowadays if you highlight a paperspace viewport and then right-click it, it has an option for shadeplot in the list.

The version you find under the plot box has a few legacy options you won't find by right-clicking a viewport though...

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
adrzal
Message 5 of 9 (2,912 Views)

05-02-2012 08:42 AM in reply to: chrisNyfield

I am having a similar problem......I am using 2011/Win7-64/Xeon 3.0/12gb ram (Dell T3500 Quad core)

So far no info supplied has been usefull to correct this issue, let alone even applicable, Unless there are setting I have not turned/off to change the data in this menu.

This is the menu I get when I righ click,

Andy

chobbs
Message 6 of 9 (2,835 Views)

05-30-2012 05:29 AM in reply to: chrisNyfield

David,

I have had problems with this as well.  If your model space geometry is too far from 0,0 on the WCS, shade plots tend to get unpredictable.  This is often the case with 3D site mapping that is georeferenced and have large numbers for X and Y (eg. x=230000, y=5,500,000).  I have found I had to physically move everything down close to 0,0 and reset the viewports in paper space, a real pain, but it is the only workaround I know of.

admin
Message 7 of 9 (2,678 Views)

09-03-2012 11:30 AM in reply to: chrisNyfield

Hello everyone. I came here with a similar if not same problem, yet the solutions provided only gave a hint to the answer. I've discovered, at least for one of the problems, a distinct solution. The whole right click solution didn't really work for the more recent versions of AutoCAD. For this, I'm talking about versions 2010 to 2013.

STATED PROBLEM: Here's how I experienced the problem. I applied a visual style called Sketchy to a view port in paperspace and tweaked it until I was happy with how it looked. Then when I printed the sheet, to my surprise, it looked like just a regular cad drawing. Grrr. For some bizarre reason our friends at AutoDesk didn't think to have the visual style apply to how a viewport prints even it that's how you see it on the screen. Makes a lot of sense huh?  Kind of defeats their whole push towards a more WYSIWYG interface.

SOLUTION:

While in paperspace, if you select the viewport that you've applied the style to, and look at the properties (have the properties dialog box open) and look under the Misc category and at the Shade Plot variable. It will most likely have the option "As Displayed" chosen. This default setting didn't work. :smileysad:  After some trials I discovered that if you choose the name of the visual style that you want from that pull down, it may not change on the screen, but when you print, it should show as the visual style applied to the window properly. Hope that helps, more.

-Brant

StudioFetter.com

jontydunnch
Message 8 of 9 (2,490 Views)

11-25-2012 09:02 AM in reply to: chrisNyfield

Solved the same problem by setting HIDEPRECISION to 1. Worked a treat!

blyoung
Message 9 of 9 (974 Views)

02-16-2014 04:35 PM in reply to: chrisNyfield

This thread has never been solved.  I've been seeing this problem for years and just dealing with the poor presentation of the Hidden style for solids in printed viewports.

Is it possible that a moderator or Autodesk monitor might present a solution here?

Very old issue never solved!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community