Printing and Plotting

JLerner
Message 1 of 3 (434 Views)
Accepted Solution

Small details in a PDF

434 Views, 2 Replies
06-01-2011 07:41 AM

Hello.

I've run into a small problem while trying to export a drawing from paper space as a PDF.  The drawing is of an electrical panel for a product.  The panel is rather large, but the drawing includes some smaller details, such as a vendor logo on a component or a few extra lines on the border of a display screen.  We have a large, multipage PDF file that uses A4 paper size that I need to insert this drawing into, so the export must be at this size.  When exporting, I have CAD set to use monochrome and ignore the line weights, which solved my initial problem that the parts would show up as solid black splotches.

Now that the backstory is over, here's the problem.  When I export the pdf, everything looks great except these small details around the components.  For some reason, the lines in the components will shift to one side or the other, causing breaks between features.  Most of these breaks occur between an arc endpoint and a line endpoint.  The export also excludes some smaller bits of geometry.  

I'm thinking that, other than making the geometry larger, there's probably no widespread solution for this problem.  I was hoping someone might have some insight to provide.

Thanks,

Joe

*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 2 of 3 (338 Views)

Re: Small details in a PDF

06-16-2011 04:41 PM in reply to: JLerner

Are you using Plot to create the PDF? Using the Autodesk supplied DWG to PDF.pc3?

In the custom properties of that driver, you can increase the resolution of the PDF output. I recommend you try that and see if your results improve.

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
JLerner
Message 3 of 3 (328 Views)

Re: Small details in a PDF

06-17-2011 06:27 AM in reply to: tcorey

Thank you for the reply Tim.

I wasn't using the Plot function to create the PDF; I was using the Export to PDF button on the output toolbar which, I'm told, is a new tab in AutoCAD 2012.

I did try out your solution.  When I made small adjustments to the resolution, there was little change, but when I ramped it to the max, the change was very pronounced.  There are still a few features that are skewed, but the overall quality is much better now.  If there's any other fine-tuning mechanism anyone can think of, I'd be glad to hear it, but I'm marking this one as solved.

Thanks again.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community