Printing and Plotting

ChuckBrost8521
Message 1 of 6 (1,380 Views)

Printing From Autocad to HP Network Printers Crashes Autocad

1380 Views, 5 Replies
01-22-2013 03:01 PM

In our Domain, now more Windows & then XP, and soon to be clear of Windows 7, we have a lot of HP color printers on the domain, they are all running 64 bit Universal drivers (which may be the original cause of this problem). But whenever we try to print a drawing to them it crashes, Print the same drawing to a Canon Multifunction Color Printer in 11x17 (same size they were trying to print on the HP) and it prints as smooth as can be.  This same think happens in both Autocad 2008 and Autocad 2010 mechanical..

I had found the instructions for creating the PC3 configuration for the printer, hoping that this might resolve the issue, I get all the way to the point of running the printer configuration and once I hit the button to start the configuration, it crashes.. The error says that the engine has halted.  It won't go any further..

Rebooting, ensuring everything you can is off, even logging in and running it selecting "Run as Administrator" and I have admin credentials on our Domain, makes no difference.

I have tried several different HP color printers on the network, and several different desktops, Windows 7 and even a couple XP machines, they all crash at the same place when trying to create the PC3 for the HP Laserjet 550 color laser jet, and a couple others I do not have the model numbers of right now.  But they all showed up under the system printer selection.

It is not really that reasonable to replace all the HP color lasers with Canon MPRT Color printers for everyone that needs to print a color multi-layer drawing.. Any ideas, or should I say other ideas?

Anyone else have issues with the HP Universal drivers?

Anyone gotten past this with an HP 550 LaserJet color that might send me a copy of the PC3?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (1,313 Views)

Re: Printing From Autocad to HP Network Printers Crashes Autocad

01-24-2013 04:56 AM in reply to: ChuckBrost8521

PC3 files are just pointers unless the device manufacturer provides them instead of system drivers for autocad (which HP does not do): they are not a magic bullet otherwise and are never a fix for a system driver issue.

Win7Pro 64bit, Universal Driver from HP work fine in AutoCAD 2011/12/13 for HP 5100 (mono) and 5550 (color) laser printers set up on a Win2008 server.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
ChuckBrost8521
Message 3 of 6 (1,307 Views)

01-24-2013 11:08 AM in reply to: ChuckBrost8521

Hmm, so the only reliable solution is upgrade to something after 2010?

It is a bit of work, to upgrade everyone, never works to upgrade just the ones that need to print, they save in the native format, now the guy with 2008 cannot open it all the way, nor the guy with 2010.. and they always forget to save in older formats.. <grin> but.. updating the license server and updating the installs sounds like less work than trying to bandaid an older application.  Good excuse to get them to let me upgrade I think.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 6 (1,299 Views)

01-25-2013 05:35 AM in reply to: ChuckBrost8521

Nope, I'm not suggesting you upgrade AutoCAD: just listing what we have and what we use for drivers.

But if you think that's a fix, you can download the trial of R2013 and find out (I would be surprised if it was a fix).

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
ChuckBrost8521
Message 5 of 6 (1,295 Views)

01-25-2013 06:57 AM in reply to: ChuckBrost8521

Ah, Thanks for the clarification. 

Being on a subscription, we should have 2011, 2012 and 2013 here somewhere already, just have to see which group has our disks and try 2013.  Hmm, if it is not the version that might work better, then the only likely solution I have at the moment is to try loading printer specific drivers directly to the machines in question and point them to the printer, bypassing the network print spooler and the universal print drivers..  That may result in a bit slower printing times, but if it is the universal drivers, and the settings in use on the network that are the problem, then I suppose that is where I should go next.  Any alternate thoughts or suggestion are welcome.

Then work on moving people to a more current version

ChuckBrost8521
Message 6 of 6 (1,217 Views)

02-21-2013 11:06 AM in reply to: ChuckBrost8521

I did finally find a solution for the issue, that works for most of the users.  Instead of printing through the spooler and the universal 64 bit drivers, I have reinstalled the printer but use the internal spooler and install the device specific drivers from the windows Update.  This does have the drawback of slowing the machine during prints a tiny bit as it acts as it's own spooler to the printer, though I am not sure that anyone would notice.

As long as you can see the device on the network (ping it directly), then this seems to do the trick just fine.  There are a couple of HP Printers on our network listed as CS_HP???  and they only show up when you go through the Print Server..   Direct connected or to Canon Multi-Functions.. it seems to be a method that is working for here.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community