Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting with Transparency

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
CGriff
698 Views, 6 Replies

Plotting with Transparency

I have select drawings in a set that have hatches or solids with transparency that plot in color (everything else in B&W). I do this for clients so they can see project phases easier (it's kind of like highlighting, just in CAD).

Anyway, I have looked, and looked, and looked for a way to just print these objects tranparently while leaving all other objects alone. The issue I'm having is that the transparent object print great, but then everything else is lighter and a little fuzzier that the rest of the drawing set. If you flip through the drawings, you can definitely tell there's a difference.

Am I looking for something that can't be found?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dmfrazier
in reply to: CGriff

Are you assigning transparency by layer?

Message 3 of 7
CGriff
in reply to: dmfrazier

I've tried it both ways--either changing the properties of the object or the entire layer.

They show fine on screen (if you have TPY activated), but it's not cooperating on prints or PDFs.

You would think checking the "Plot Transparency" box would only affect the objects/layers that have transparency settings that are greater than zero (default for no transparency)... but it doesn't seem to work like that. It really wrecks the whole concept of having transparency in the first place.

I can't even find a good workaround... 😕

Message 4 of 7
dmfrazier

Have you tried using Draworder to send the transparent hatches and solids to the back (and/or bring the other objects to the front)?

I made a simple DWG with solid Hatch and some MText and compared the results with the hatch in front versus behind the text.  Printing to PDF there is a slight difference on screen (the text that is in front of the hatch is crisper), and a less noticeable difference when the PDF is plotted to a laser printer.  The difference was most pronounced when printed directly to the laser printer.

Message 5 of 7
CGriff
in reply to: dmfrazier

Let me put it another way:

Say I have a drawing with ZERO transparent objects in it.

If I plot it & check the "Print Transparency" box, everything prints thinnner/lighter/fuzzier than what's dictated by the CTB (even objects with the default transparency set to zero).

I guess I want to find a way to add color/transparency to a drawing without sacrificing overall drawing quality.

The transparency thing is a great feature to have, but it just doesn't seem to work quite right when printing or making PDFs.

The only thing I haven't tried is DWFs 😕

Message 6 of 7
dmfrazier

Yes, I thought you meant that only objects within the hatched areas were plotting "fuzzy". I apologize for misunderstanding. 

Message 7 of 7
jggerth1

unfortunately, that's normal.  When Transparecny is enabled, Acad rasterizes the entire plot before sending it to the plotter, so what your plotter is printing is essentially a giant image file, not the perfect vectors we're used to.  😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost