Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting 3D Objects

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
bchampion
729 Views, 2 Replies

Plotting 3D Objects

Back in the day, when all we had was plain old 2D we use to draw a cube like this:

Cube.jpg

See those hidden lines, we used "hidden" line type for those and they plotted dashed. Also, I know its crazy, when I print it, all the lines are controlled by the ctb file.

Now these days... I have this 3D cube that I'm trying to plot on paper. And it seems there are 3 different visual styles I can use get it to print.

1. Wireframe, lines that are hidden are printed as a continous line, line colour and weight is controlled by ctb file.

2. Legacy Hidden, lines that are hidden dont print at all, lines colour and weight are controlled by ctb file.

3. Custom Visual Style, lines that are hidden are plotted as hidden lines, but nothing is controlled by the ctb file (ie its all printed in colour/wrong line weights).

Can someone please tell me what I have to do to get this to work, and please dont have me changing the colour of the visual style from "ByEntity"! This is much more then a simple cube I'm drawing here and I need some things shadded and others bold. I cannot have all 3D objects the same lineweight.

Thanks a bunch.

EDIT:

I'm on Autocad 2014

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dmfrazier
in reply to: bchampion

"...please dont have me changing the colour of the visual style from "ByEntity"! This is much more then a simple cube I'm drawing here and I need some things shadded and others bold. I cannot have all 3D objects the same lineweight."

I think if you select the "Hidden" visual style and change only the "Occluded Edges" settings to "Show", select "Dashed" linetype, and a color that corresponds to your CTB, you should be in good shape. 

Message 3 of 3
mkulbel
in reply to: dmfrazier

That is one way to make the hidden lines appear dashed. The other is to do the same for the 2d wireframe style, and plot legacy hidden. However, that still does not solve the problem of line weight. The lack of line weight control on hidden plots of 3d objects has been a major headache for me as well. See my post illustrating the problem:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/how-to-plot-hidden-amp-respect-lineweight/m-p/7775440/h...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost