Printing and Plotting

Contributor
dbill2508
Message 1 of 2 (258 Views)

PC3 files not working properly

258 Views, 1 Replies
11-08-2012 05:23 AM

In the process of releasing 2013 to the office. We have about 60 machines being loaded, varying from 64-bit Win 7, 32-bit Win 7 and 32-bit Win XP. I have gone through and created new PC3 files for our two KIP printers (3000 & 7000 series). I added one custom page size to each to create a PMP that goes along with them. These files have been placed onto a network folder for all users to access. This is where my confusion begins.

When other users go to utilize these files it is giving an error stating that "the plotter configuration cannot be found, driver cannot be found, device cannot be found, yada yada. The none has been substituted."

So we began to look at the PC3 files and see what the issues are. When the same file on the Server is copied down to a local machine it changes back to a KIP10 driver down from a KIP11 driver on the network. Make Sense?

In order to fix I began running the "Add-A-Plotter Wizard" on the local machine. Created a new PC3 wiih a different name and went back into the program. Now the PC3's that did not work before WORK.

In short, since the 2013 version has a new file format do we have to run the "Add-A-Plotter Wizard" on all local machines before the standard PC3 file will work effectively? Or does having 2011 version still on the machines have an effect on these files?

Thanks in advance for any clarification, tried to explain it the best way I could. Sorry if it is a bit confusing.

Bill H

Civil 3D 2011 User

Civil 3d 2013 Hopefully next week.

Win 7 Pro 64-Bit - Dell T1600
Intel Xeon 3.30Ghz
8Gb RAM
Civil 3D 2013
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 2 (245 Views)

Re: PC3 files not working properly

11-09-2012 05:18 AM in reply to: dbill2508

PC3 files are nothing more than pointers to drivers the way you are using them.

If anything changes on the PC (like a driver, driver version, driver location, or anything else as subtle) then an old PC3 file is pointing no where that PC needs and it fails.

AFAIK the simple rule even applies when the PCs use different Windows versions (63bit vs. 32bit and XP vs. win7, way too many variations for one PC3 file) even if they all have the same exact AutoCAD version.

Try sharing PC3 files between identical PC setups/Windows versions and see what I mean.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community