Printing and Plotting

M_Beorn
Message 1 of 4 (154 Views)

Missing objects

154 Views, 3 Replies
09-13-2012 01:43 PM

I have a simple question, that hopefully someone can point me in the right direction,  I was plotting a simple little drawing and went to plot it using one of our Dell Laser printers, and half the objects were missing.  I tried a few things, like making sure that the objects were all on printable layers and such and the same thing happend.  I then tried printing to another printer (HP Ink Jet) and low and behold all the objects print.  Why would objects plot on one printer and not another?  Ideas?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 4 (145 Views)

Re: Missing objects

09-14-2012 05:14 AM in reply to: M_Beorn

What are these "objects"?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
M_Beorn
Message 3 of 4 (133 Views)

09-17-2012 05:23 AM in reply to: pendean

The drawing is just a very simple 2D layout of a mounting flange.  Basically some circles for the flange, circles for the bolt holes, centerlines and dimensions.  Each type was on it's own layer, none of the layers were frozen or locked.  All the dimensions printed and 4 out of the six centerlines printed and only one of the six circles for bolt holes printed.

When I plot to a different printer, I get all the objects.  I tend to think maybe it might be how the Dell laser printer handles the plot code?  The plots were were done identical to each other with the same plot style, same layout, the only thing that changed was which printer I chose.

Distinguished Contributor
Hammer.john.j
Message 4 of 4 (108 Views)

09-27-2012 11:01 AM in reply to: M_Beorn

as a rule, i always plot to a file type before i send to a printer, it eliminates a ton of problems with printer interpretation.  My suggestion would be to output to pdf or tiff or jpg and then your printer will handle the language better.

it doesn't solve your problem, but it avoids the problem :smileyhappy: with a guaranteed result... dwf would work too.  Don't worry, if the printer isn't post script enabled it doesn't matter because it'll convert it to a jpeg or other format the printer understands.

plotting direct is danger (in my opinion).

John Hammer, LA
Dell Precision T3500 - Xenon W3550 @ 3.07 (4 core)
Ram @ 12Gb
64bit Win7 Pro
Samsung SSD
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 - Dual Monitors
Cat 6 network with GlobalScape Avail Agent - WAFS
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium and Civil 3D 2012 & 2014

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community