Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG to PDF Batch Print to single sheet file (AutoCAD)

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
PeterLange7168
51394 Views, 20 Replies

DWG to PDF Batch Print to single sheet file (AutoCAD)

We just started in 2014 last week.  When we batch plot to PDF using the DWG to PDF driver we get multi-page files no matter which is selected in the Publish Options.  Has anyone else encountered this / found a fix to allow single sheet PDF creation?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
pendean
in reply to: PeterLange7168

Post a screenshot of your PUBLISH pop-up: the initial view that shows all of your files/layouts and the Options view. Works fine here in R2014 (fully updated and patched).
Message 3 of 21
PeterLange7168
in reply to: pendean

We are up to date with SP1.  We have done it this same way for years.  This was not the original job where we discovered the problem (different computer, different drawings) but same result: one file with 16 sheers.

Message 4 of 21
pendean

You are using "plotter named in pagesetup": change that to PDF then ensure you have multi-sheet output selected.
Message 5 of 21
cad_cow_24

halla-fricken-lullah!

i was going nuts with this too.....something must have chnaged with the settings in 2014, as i have been doing batch plots for years with no problems...then bam!  all seperate sheets.

thanks for the post, i can stop crying now!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 21
pendean
in reply to: cad_cow_24

Funny enough, I've only ever done it my way so I can't comment on if and when the behavior changed. Glad it worked.
Message 7 of 21

Thank you very much.  The "plotter named in pagesetup" worked in 2013, so it just changed this version.

Message 8 of 21

Part II - we just discovered that when we batch plot to PLT files, it also creates one file with multiple sheets.  We would prefer to make each sheet a separate file.  I believe that you are required to have a plotter setup to plot to file and that you must select "printer named in page setup" in order to do PLT files.  Thus, we cannot duplicate the fix for PDF/DWFs.  Any new thoughts about batch plotting to PLT plot files?

Message 9 of 21
pendean

PLT? It's not 1990 anymore 🙂

Seriously though: I beleive you answered your own question. Do you know how to replace a defined pagesetup in many layouts with one? It's quite simple and it will let you use a defined plot-to-file pagesetup instead.
Message 10 of 21

Maybe I wasn't clear about the issue.  We are doing the same thing we have done for at least five years: batch plot to make PLT files.  We know how to set up an AutoCAD pagesetup.  Before, we would print individual sheets, i.e. M-1, M-2, M-3, etc., and the output would be M-1.plt, M-2.plt, M-3.plt, etc.  Now it creates one file, called M-1.plt that contains three drawings.  If you send it to the printer, three sheets come out.  The issue is our Oce Printer Direct software will not separate out individual sheets, so if you need to reprint one, you have to do the whole set.

Yes, we do sometimes use PLT files because they are generally small and can be emailed easily if we send out our print job.  Also, we have had issues in the past with many Excel sheets on a drawing and have had better success creating PLT files and converting to PDF.  Perhaps that is less an issue in 2014, but it is the work around that we had to do because of software incompatibilities in the past and people like to use what they know will work.

Message 11 of 21
pendean

Same as before doesn't seem to apply anymore, you wrote as much in this thread several times.

You also posted what appears to be a solution:
"... you are required to have a plotter setup to plot to file ..."
I assumed your statement was based of a test: or what it a guess? Why not find out for sure.

Publish lets you temporarily replace all predefined pagesetups with one pagesetup from another source like a template file: do you know how to do this or do you need help?

The days of emailing a large number of files has almost passed: use a quality FTP source to distribute files in a manner that will not hit or affect size limits or attachment restrictions of your recipients. Free sites like Dropbox or SkyDrive and paid websites like Citrix Sharefile exist for this purpose. PLT is fine or PDF is fine, or WMF is fine, or any other source is fine, whatever works for you. Smiley face means it was a joke, chuckle when you see it.

"used to do it this way" sometimes needs an update, don't you think?
Message 12 of 21
PeterLange7168

I'm not sure we are on same wavelength here.  I just want to know if we can do this or if it was purposefully changed and we have to adjust.  We have always had a plotter setup to import for printing to PDF and PLT files.  We cannot get the desired result using these in AutoCAD 2014, but by changing the Publish To: field in the Publish screen to PDF, we can get our desired result.  They have options for DWF, DWFx and PDF.  So we cannot select PLT there.  Different people have tried numerous times to make a single sheet PLT file without success.  So we have tested.  And failed.  So, can it be done or not?  That, is the question.

Sorry if I reacted a little harshly.  I know we oldsters can get in ruts, but calling our routine 1990 was a little severe.  I mean, I have only been using AutoCAD since 1991! Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 21
pendean

Please test it on your end and find out: I don't have your plotter and I don't publish to PLT.

PLT is created by setting your plotter driver to output to file. If I set my plotter driver/PC3 file to output to file, I get single PLT files here.

Don't import an existing/old plotter setup if it doesn't work: test by creating a new one.

Love the 1991 comment 🙂

Message 14 of 21
M_Hensley

Does changing the PUBLISHCOLLATE value have any effect on printing to PLT?

Message 15 of 21
PeterLange7168
in reply to: M_Hensley

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Message 16 of 21
Jedimaster

The one issue if you do that you can only get color PDFs.

Message 17 of 21
markh
in reply to: cad_cow_24

using this configuration, how / where is the .ctb file specified to control lineweights of output?

Message 18 of 21
pendean
in reply to: markh

PAGESETUP and PLOT commands are two places to specify which CTB file to use.
Message 19 of 21
rajat.rajsingh

hello i want to know if there is a way to plot several drawings which are in one file. i want to print pdf of several drawings. if there is a way to automate this process rathere than doing it manually one by one.
Message 20 of 21
pendean
in reply to: rajat.rajsingh

PUBLISH command if you use layouts: otherwise you can automate with LISP if you want to spent some time learning to code then setting up all your modelpace views to be ready to plot tat way you want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost