Printing and Plotting

Active Contributor
Message 1 of 2 (148 Views)

Annotative Text Question

148 Views, 1 Replies
08-26-2012 07:02 PM

After many years of ignoring the subject, it has become mandatory that I master the art of getting annotative text and dimensions under control. I think I grasp the entire concept but when it comes to getting text and dimensions to show up in the right viewport I'm still on shaky ground.

So I create a new text style which is annotative and I want it to appear on paper at 1/8". So I set the font, make it annotative and then set the Paper Text Height to 1/8". Then I setup my 3 layouts with a single viewport on them. The viewport scales are set to 1:16, 3/4"=1'-0" and 1"=1'-0" respectively. The current model space annotative scale is 1:1. So I change it to 1:16 and add some text. Now on the first layout tab I can see the text but not on the second and third layout tabs. So I go back to the modelspace and select one of the text objects and add a new annotative scale to it. It now shows up on layout 2, but not layout 3. So i add yet another annotative scale to the text and it now shows up on all three layout tabs.

My problem with this is I can't believe you have to do this to all the text objects in a drawing, that is to go and manually add the other scales needed for them to show up in all three layouts. Now add to it that most of my drawings are created by an automation process using LISP. I am at a loss to explain how I'm going to get all the text objects which get added to my drawings through this LISP process are going to be able to have all the needed annotative scales assigned to them. Or perhaps I'm still not understanding the process correctly.

In other words, how can I set this up so that as each new text or dimension object is added to the drawing, it automatically gets all the needed annotation scales? Some of my drawings now have four (4) layout tabs, each with viewports set to different scales. And I need the text to show up in all of them  at 1/8" on paper.

As I read more, it sounds like for my setup I will have to wait for the automatic drawing process to complete. Then with ANNOAUTOSCALE turned on I will have to set the various CANNOSCALES in modelspace in order to have it attach the current scale to all annotative objects in the drawing. But going through this manually, it doesn't appear that works like I just stated.

Distinguished Mentor
michael.robertson
Message 2 of 2 (137 Views)

Re: Annotative Text Question

08-27-2012 04:05 AM in reply to: btillman

You need to investigate the "ANNOAUTOSCALE" variable. THere is an icon for enabling and disabling it just to the left of the Workspace  picker. The icon looks like the cross section of an engineering scale with a lighteng bolt at the top

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community