Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tool crashing into the material

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
lornemartin
840 Views, 8 Replies

tool crashing into the material

Hi all,

I'm making my first part with CAM360 on my Sherline mill. I'm using the EMC post.  I did a few 2D profiles and pockets with no problems whatsoever.  However with my first 3D adaptive toolpath, the tool plunged into the material a few times during a rapid move just before engaging into a feed cut again. I'm attaching a picture, hope you can make out the details. I'm hoping somebody can take a look at my file and see what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Lorne

Capture.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
fonsecr
in reply to: lornemartin

Hi Lorne,

Can you see the issue in the Simulation? If not, it might be related to post customization (e.g. if your CNC is set up to do dog-leg motion for G0s) in which case you can send a mail to the post team at cam.posts@autodesk.com. They should be able to help you out.

If the issue is visible during simulation we can have a look at your toolpath.

René

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 3 of 9
lornemartin
in reply to: fonsecr

The simulator definitely does not show the issues I'm referring to, so it could very well be a post processor issue. I will contact the post team, thanks.

Message 4 of 9
fonsecr
in reply to: lornemartin

Ok. I have let the post team know to expect your mail 🙂

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 5 of 9

lorne,

Did you get this resolved? I spoke with our Post Team and they hadn't heard back.

If you can send an invite to Andrew in the Post Team he can take a look at your file, and your post, to determine what might be the cause.

Thanks,

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Message 6 of 9

I will send the invite tonight when I get home, I don't have access to the project at work here.

Regards,
Lorne Martin CNC Programming and Setup
Horst Welding Tel: (866) 567-4162 / Fax: (519) 291-5388 / www.horstwelding.com
[cid:image001.png@01CFAB1C.1D09F6E0][cid:image002.png@01CFAB1C.1D09F6E0][cid:image003.png@01CFAB1C.1D09F6E0]

Message 7 of 9
Abelzyl1
in reply to: fonsecr

I am having a similar problem. It doesn't happen every time... but I am creating multiple 2d profiles, then post processing them to generic Mach 3. I am milling parts from plywood.

They hit the stock during preparatory moves (before the actual cut begins). I cant see any option to control, or even properly display preparatory moves in your CAM... that would be nice.

I noticed that I can eliminate this behavior by setting all the clearance, feed, etc heights to be relative to the stock, not eachother. 

Abel Zyl

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 9
anthony.graves
in reply to: Abelzyl1

Abel,

This should not be the case, but I suspect that it may be the way the part is being programmed (note on the heights for example). However, to be sure it would be best if you could share your project with someone on our support team. Please share your project with jeff.walters@autodesk.com and shoot him a quick email so you can set up a time to review it with each other.

If this is a post issue Jeff will be able to communicate what is needed to our post development team.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Message 9 of 9
jeff.walters
in reply to: Abelzyl1

I haven’t received the invite yet so I hope you have solved the issue. If not id me more than happy to take a look at it with you.

Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report