Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why CAM?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
anthony.graves
1361 Views, 5 Replies

Why CAM?

CAM capabilities have been added to Fusion 360 to allow users to turn many of their designs into physical parts using CNC milling machines. While 3D printing has certainly transformed prototyping and visual communication of designs, machining allows users to produce parts in material such as metals, wood, and some plastics that are either a) difficult or impossible to print or b) simply more produced more economically using a CNC machine.

The first set of CAM capabilities that have been included with Fusion 360 are 2D and 3D milling strategies and the tools necessary to successfully create CNC programs for CNC mills. These other “CAM tools” include a tool library, setup sheet generator, toolpath simulator, and a post processing system.

2D CAM strategies, such as drilling, facing, pocketing, and slot milling, allow users to machine parts with prismatic shapes such as flat surfaces, vertical walls, and holes.

3D CAM strategies, such as horizontal, parallel, radial, and spiral allow users to machine parts with sculpted surfaces or features.

When combined with the 3D printing support, these CAM capabilities extend the value of Fusion 360 by empowering users to machine parts for prototyping, functional testing, or production.

Now go cut something and let us know what you think!

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Autodesk Inc

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
yorke
in reply to: anthony.graves

Hi Anthony, this is great news and I cant wait to start cutting things straight from my Fusion 360 designs. Just a quick question that I couldn't see detailed anywhere: It says windows 8 support only? is there an estimate on when it may be available for Fusion 360 on a Mac.

I am just in the process of ordering a new Mac as I've always been an Autodesk on Windows user, and Fusion 360's compatability with Mac was the final justification I needed to make the leap over to Apple. So I'm hoping there's plans for implementing the new CAM features?

Simon Yorke
Designer, Modeler, Simulator, Maker, and Futurists
Advanced Design Technologist - Aurecon www.aurecongroup.com
Owner and Director - Yorke Ltd
Chief Designer and Maker - YORKE Labs
Message 3 of 6
anthony.graves
in reply to: yorke

yorke67 - Thanks! The entire Autodesk CAM Team is excited about Fusion 360.

Regarding your inquiry about Mac support, the next update to Fusion 360 is planned for late June. This update should include both Windows and Mac support. We've cut a few development versions but not quite ready for a screen capture.

We are also working on a new tool library and putting some finishing touches on a new Tabs feature. We'll see what makes the cut.

We'll post updates here on this forum as we get closer to the release date.

Thanks for posting and thanks for your interest! I'm eager to hear your feedback once we get the next release out.

Best regards,

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Autodesk Inc

Message 4 of 6

Teaser Alert: Here's a screen capture of a part being programmed in Fusion 360 - on a Mac.

Fusion360-CAM-MAC.png

Message 5 of 6
yorke
in reply to: anthony.graves

Thanks Anthony, that's awesome news! I'll continue on my adventure to purchasing and switching over to the Apple environment.  

Simon Yorke
Designer, Modeler, Simulator, Maker, and Futurists
Advanced Design Technologist - Aurecon www.aurecongroup.com
Owner and Director - Yorke Ltd
Chief Designer and Maker - YORKE Labs
Message 6 of 6
anthony.graves
in reply to: yorke

You bet. Now, if you want to really impress us - get yourself one of the new Mac Pros and show us what you got!

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Autodesk Inc

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report