Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Fusion 360 Guide

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
artygal12
1248 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a Fusion 360 Guide

Hi, folks!  It seems that there's quite a learning curve on this program, and both I and other people have noticed the lack of printed manuals. 

I've started a ShareLatex document here that is basically for us to share about as many of the features that Fusion 360 has to offer.  The point of this is to have a searchable instruction manual to get at the not-so-intuitive stuff of Fusion 360.  For example, I'm currently writing about how, in parametric mode, you need to copy bodies, not components in order to treat the copied bodies as separate from the originals.  

So basically, it would be beautiful if, whenever you have something that takes you ages to find the answer to, if you could write a few sentences up about it in the LaTeX document.  This way, we can search for keywords and be able to find exactly what works easily.

Right now, the structure is somewhere along the lines of:

Universal commands, options, and menu buttons

The work spaces

The menus

the buttons and options

Parametric modeling

The work spaces

The menus

the buttons and options

Direct modeling

The work spaces

The menus

the buttons and options

Miscellaneous stuff

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
herzinj
in reply to: artygal12

This is really a great idea, and something that I want to continue to do more of in the future.  Having a place for the whole community to contribute and share what they have learned is just what the community needs.  We have been working on a similar concept, very interested in how this goes.

For some additional help (more how to use the product) this might also help: http://www.slideshare.net/AutodeskFusion360/fusion-360-training-course

James

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 3 of 9
prabakarm

Thanks for the initiative.  We want to partner to reduce the learning curve and make the learning experience great.

I am curious to know about your experience with our learning content which is mostly video based.  We just revamped the structure and getting started.  We are working on revamping all other content to be up to date.  Do you see the video content helping you or text based content is more helpful.  Is the search in our learning content not answering some of the core questions and concepts.  Any other thoughts on the learning content?

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 4 of 9
artygal12
in reply to: prabakarm

So far, the video-based learning has been somewhat useful.  When the video I need is obvious, that specific video is incredibly great!  I love that you actually get to see where to click for what I need. However, I find that searchability is more important than videography.  You can get the same visual input using photos and diagrams.  Ideally, I think that a well-searchable, indexed set of videos would be the most useful.

However, the main thing preventing what you have now from being working well is that unless the title or description of the video lists what commands can be seen in the video, and/or describes what's going on in the video very well, it's difficult to find the video that shows what you need.

For example, this video has a great description.  If you search any of the terms in the description, it brings you to the video.  Then it's just skimming through the video until you find what you need.

However, this other video doesn't have a very helpful description.  Yes, the video is about as-built joints, but since "as-built joint" isn't the most intuitive name, that's not what I'd be looking up.  I'd be looking up "How to make a ball joint," or maybe just "ball joint."  However, neither search term brought up that video, which would be incredibly useful for this situation.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a change to the organization:  When the video is done being edited, have someone go through a couple of times and write down exactly what tools are used.  If it's not a huge hassle, they could also mark the timestamp.  Having this list in the description would go a long way to not only make it easier to find the relevant videos, but also to find the useful point within  the videos.  

I haven't done much of anything to update the document, but my research group has been documenting obsessively and we'll transfer the information over by the end of the summer.

Message 5 of 9
prabakarm

Thanks for the feedback.  Very actionable and clear on what we need to improve. 

I really looking forward to the documentation from your team which I am sure will help the overall learning experience. 

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 6 of 9
Pravs24

Hi Artygal12,

This is a great document! I am wondering if there is a updated 2015 version or if the link is the most update to date version. Also Have you found any other good resources online for learning Fusion360?

Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 9
dzehner2
in reply to: Pravs24

Is that guide still available somewhere? The ShareLatex link is dead. Sounds like a great resource though!

Message 8 of 9
skrubol
in reply to: dzehner2

The link works for me.

Message 9 of 9
7milesup
in reply to: skrubol

Is there a way to download that slideshow to my computer? I do not see a link.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report