Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow Lessons Learned

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
BuckWyckoff
354 Views, 2 Replies

Workflow Lessons Learned

I made an extensive post before about the limitations of the registration process, specifically QC during and restarting after.  Autodesk responded and I think they'll make some great improvements later.  Now, I'd like to relate some really great things I've learned about the post registration workflow.  You may find it useful and my main goal is to implore Autodesk not to change things in this area as it works very well.  There are several things to discuss and they are interrelated...

RCP autosave verses manual saving:  Every time you register an individual scan, the rcp file is saved.  This is nice.  If for some reason things crap out, you can pick up where you left off.  When reg is done and you index and launch project, no further rcp saves are made, unless you do it yourself from the home menu's save icon or leave the program and choose to save when exiting.  The reason I like this becomes clear below.

Scan Locations:  This menu in the lower right is great (when I finally noticed it) as a way to isolate and identify scans that didn't register correctly.  Deleting them and getting back to registering is currently a pain (that's what the last post was about).  I've since come to appreciate the extreme usefulness of this menu.  ReCap Pro is great at editing (deleting) point cloud points.  Fast interface, good selection tools and immediate results.  It took me a while to realize how much this process can be improved when turning scan view states off.  I process many vehicles.  I have to remove many ghosts of people and sometimes the hood or doors are open on a scan or two.  Before, I was editing the point cloud in its complete state and shaving off an open door or a body sticking their head in was tricky.  Removing it and not affecting the surface of the vehicle in the normal, doors shut state was tough.  There would always be a hint of points riding the main surface and then the offending points that intersect and go inside the vehicle volume remained.  Visibility states makes tricky PC clean-up a breeze.  Turn all the scans off except the offending scan, clean it up and turn the rest back on.  I do overall cleanup with everything on, then turn them all off and toggle scans on one by one to look for and delete anything offending.  You'd be surprised what you miss when everything is on.  A nice workflow is to name your project, do the reg, then when you start cleanup, do a SaveAs and add "Edited" to the end of your project name.  Then you have an edited and unedit version of your project in case you deleted some point by mistake and need to backtrack.

RCS Save Selected:  I didn't know I could do this.  When you choose the Export icon, you are warned that the project will be unified.  Sounded scary and final.  The RCS is a unified file.  The RCP is unaffected.  It wasn't until I lingered over the Export icon and a tooltip popped up that I saw it said the "current state" of the project will be exported.  What a minute!  I had just finished cleaning up a big rig and trailer scans.  When I  originally imported the scans and walked away while it processed, I later saw the trailer and tractor scans were in the same pile.  The tractor was the first 11 scans. The trailer, which was in another part of the lot, was the final 13 scans.  After registering the tractor, I made the first trailer scan part of a new scan group.  Then you register the trailer as if it was the only thing (the registered tractor scans are out of the picture for the moment).  When I finished the trailer (Group 2) scans, ReCap Pro then puts the tractor Group 1 and trailer Group 2 scans in split screen and forces you to connect them before you can end the registration process.  There are several improvements to ReCap that would be great here.  One, let you index and maintain two independent points clouds in the project.  Or, let you save each one out as an rcp file and index just that.  At any rate, Scan Locations and Export Current State to the rescue.  Since there was no physical link to the tractor and trailer groups, I just picked three points on the ground in roughly an isosceles triangle on both groups first scans.  ReCap marched off to link the two groups and reported that the match was crap.  I know, proceed anyway.  When I index and launch project, I had the tractor and trailer on the same ground plane in the same vicinity.  But they could have overlapped, no problem.  Use Scan Locations to isolate the tractor and clean it up.  Then isolate the trailer and clean it up.  With just the tractor visible, export to an RCS and only the tractor will be in the RCS file.  Hide the tractor scans and make the trailer visible.  Exporting an RSC will only include the trailer.  Sweet!

Limit Box:  I complained a long time ago that the problem with the limit box is it is often skewed to the object scanned and neatly clipping it orthogonally isn't possible.  I never got a response that clued me in.  While trying to shrink the side of a limit box, I accidentally clicked on an edge.  It highlighted dark blue and the box started to rotate.  Oh, joy!  You can line it up with your scanned scene.

So anyway, I hope when AutoDesk improves the program, they do not mess with the rcp save regiment or Scan Location Visibility states or Export Current States such that anything here is compromised.  Feel free to improve it, please don't diminish the current functionality. (Sometimes, things disappear or get worse after a product upgrade.)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ReCap_Ju
in reply to: BuckWyckoff

Hi Buck,

Thanks for your great post!

I'm sure this will be useful for many here.

Just a remark: you posted it under Photo on ReCap 360 when I think it should be under ReCap Pro General. If you don't mind I will ask to relocate this conversation in order to give more audience to your tips and comments.

Regards

Message 3 of 3
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: ReCap_Ju

Wrong Forum.  Oops!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report