Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supported Lens types for Photo ReCap 360

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
keshavs
2041 Views, 5 Replies

Supported Lens types for Photo ReCap 360

Hi Everyone,

Since there have been some questions regarding fish-eye lenses on the forum lately, just wanted to clarify the official support list:

Photo on ReCap 360 supports ALL lenses with standard optics, i.e. no fish-eye or unusual projection. So all "normal" cameras, including cameras in mobile phones, with normal lenses work. Our algorithms self-calibrate these lenses.

Currently, the only officially supported fish-eye lens is the GoPro HERO3+ Black edition.  There are other GoPro lenses that the team did some work with, but only the Black edition was fully tested and supported.

If you use other lenses, you need to first defish the images using some other software. Googling produces a number of them.

Hope that clarifies. Happy creation of 3D models from Photos!

--Keshav

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tksharpless
in reply to: keshavs

Inability to analyze wide angle photos and stitched panoramas is a major weakness of almost all photogrammetry s/w, including yours.  I was heartened to hear you were accepting GoPro images, as I thought that might presage general support for wide angle formats.  Please tell me that is going to happen.

Message 3 of 6
vidanom
in reply to: tksharpless

Sharing some videos done with a GoPro and ReCap 360:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ8nn34TFzU&list=PLQOxJKbIe-74-j5tErhz0BV6-h5l_Ws-1&index=7

Note: the results from digital SLR’s can be expected to be with a better quality, but still we are receiving satisfactory results with the GoPro’s.

Especially in tight narrow hallways GoPro has proven to be the better choice.

Mitko

Message 4 of 6
drumtaps1
in reply to: vidanom

How did you obtain such a high quality image in that video? When we have tested it (using the same gopro hero black edition) we find that the edges are nowhere near as crisp and clean?

Message 5 of 6
vidanom
in reply to: drumtaps1

There are few tips I can share that might help:

- Try to capture as much as from the object in the picture frame, but without cropping it; that way more pixels will be used in the reconstruction that should lead to more tighter model;

- Less blurry photos the better. If mounted on a gimbal, it has to be as steady as possible (try updating the gimbal firmware). Even few uploaded blurry photos can lead to a distorted model;

- The more features the object has the better. White, even walls don’t work that well;

- More overlap between photos will result in more accurate model. Less than 5 degrees angle between photos is recommended for shooting this type of scenarios;

- The models are usually better when photos are submitted in sequence, forming one perfect 360 loop;

- Same for images that were captured from the same distance from the subject; There is no specific rule, but we are seeing better reconstructions when this is the case;

Hope some of this will help in getting a better model,

Mitko

Message 6 of 6
stribeck
in reply to: keshavs

I have used booth Gopro H3+ Black and silver with good results. I use a DJI Phantom Drone as you have in your commersioal for Recap Photo. 

I have upgraded my drone to DJI Phantom 2+ Vision. That one have a built in camera with F/2.8 and 140deg FOV.

Please take a look att that one. It would be great if you supported that one. I experience some problems with images from that one now.

Best regards

Johan Stribeck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report