Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap 360 Point Clouds Viewing Slow

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1313 Views, 9 Replies

Recap 360 Point Clouds Viewing Slow

We currently use Recap 360 for viewing 3d Scans of buildings. They are large files and when logged into Recap 360 (running it through Google Chrome) it is very slugish and choppy. This is from multiple computers and very fast internet speed. 

Is there a setting I am missing or a local viewer server I can get? I it very frustrating since all the other aspects of Recap Pro are great. 

Thank you,

Joshua

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TalonOne
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't know if you are great with PC's or not so if this seems like a I'm trying to oversimplify it I'm sorry. I am trying to help.  

If you're running from a laptop or an old pc you may not have a beefy enough video card to render the scenes.  There are not many laptops that can handle 3d as well as a nice desktop with a new nvidia or ati card in it.  I have a Nvidia GTX660 with 2 gigs of RAM and that's probably mid range.  I can view my stuff fine. 2million triangles.  I'm new to recap so I'm not sure if that's big or small.

Matt

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: TalonOne

Talon,

Thank you for the response.

Just as some background. We have a computer with an intel i-5 3.4ghz processor and 32 gb of ram that runs Recap Pro. Then we upload it to Recap 360 (autodesk 360) for viewing. Then we share the scans with someone to view. They can view the photos from the point the scan was taken. Now at this point I have 3 bosses and other employees very upset because when they go to view online it is very choppy and frustrating.

Then the call me :). I have to believe there is something I am missing or a simple solution out there. Since we are now not using spheres or targets to scan and its an RCP file I can't go back to the manufactures local network viewer. 

Message 4 of 10
TalonOne

AH. Gotcha.  You know what I found is that Memento is pretty speedy at viewing .RCP files. Maybe you might find that useful.

I hope the guys here can resolve your problem.
 Matt
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: TalonOne

Did you have to export to a different file format for Memento to reconize the file type? Also could you from from scan points?

Message 6 of 10
Autodesk

I attached one of the error images that I received while in Recap 360. 

Message 7 of 10
RC_steph
in reply to: Autodesk

Hello

Josh could you describe your experience ? Is it by navigating inside a panorama or by switching for one view to another one or ?

Regarding the size of the file (from user Autodesk), unfortunately this is currently a known bug and we are working on it.

thanks

Message 8 of 10
Autodesk
in reply to: RC_steph

The floor plans seem slow to move in as well as switching between views. Moving in views is choppy then after you have moved it snaps you back to where you started. The error message comes up often. 
I would be up for a go-to-meeting to review. We do a high number of projects and it is crucial to view the scans. I believe that Recap360 can work great. 
So you think it is primarily the size of the RCP file uploaded?

Message 9 of 10
acmorris
in reply to: Autodesk

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Performance of Real Views (panoramas) on ReCap 360 varies depending on the scan file size. Large file sizes as well as big scan projects have shown to be less responsive than panoramas created from smaller sized scans or projects with fewer scans.  That said, Real View performance is an area we are actively working to improve. We have recieved similar feedback from others and recognize the need to improve usability. To help us out, would it be possible to provide the following information:

How large are the original scan file sizes?

How many scans are in the project?

What kind of scanner(s) were used to collect the scans?

Best,

Aaron

Message 10 of 10
-Julien-

Hello Josh,

We have noticed that on computers with limited 3D hardware acceleration, displaying the scan image and the map at the same time was slowing down a lot the viewing experience.

Can you try to hide the minimap in the top right hand corner of the page by clicking the little arrow in the corner?
This should improve the responsiveness of the scan viewer.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report