Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ReCap 360 Photo returns a mesh with no textures, just solid grey

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
sjjbennett
1131 Views, 9 Replies

ReCap 360 Photo returns a mesh with no textures, just solid grey

A few of the meshes I've created from photos have returned a correct mesh but no textures - the textures are just solid grey. I've been creating and viewing the results online at recap360.autodesk.com (i.e. not trying to download any files and view in other software packages). Any thoughs on how to fix this?

I'm totally familiar with the various viewing options and some of the meshes I've created do have textures. I'm suspecting maybe an issue with JPEG EXIF information, or maybe if the mesh size is larger than a certain threshold then the textures get dropped. I'm using the free online version of ReCap 360.

Any tips on how to fix this would be really appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sjjbennett
in reply to: sjjbennett

Here's a screen shot to illustrate the problem!

MissingTextures.jpg

Message 3 of 10

hiya.

i have never heard of this issue, so it will be very good to find the problem.

it will be easier to tell if we can see the photos - do you mind sharin the project folder with recap360@autodesk.com?

(funny - but in your screenshot, the images on the left are also black and white 🙂 )

have a good day!

tanja

Message 4 of 10

Hi Tanja,

Great, thank you for the quick response. I've shared the project folder with recap360@autodesk.com and included your name and a link back to this forum post in the share invite.

Actually the images are full color! They just look b/w when shrunk down to the small size in the forum post.

Any quick tips on how to get the textures generated alongside the mesh would be great.

Best,
Stephen

Message 5 of 10
sjjbennett
in reply to: sjjbennett

BTW the project folder name is AlaTex1 and project file is AlaTex1.rcp

Thanks!

Stephen

Message 6 of 10

hiya. are these taken with GoPro? if yes, what GoPro model do you have?

thx 

Message 7 of 10

They're actually screen shots of Apple Maps - simply as test content. However final content will likely be frames of a video feed..
Stephen
Message 8 of 10

OK, I think I may have found the problem..

If the extension on the image files is renamed from .jpeg to .jpg then the textures are correctly returned (all other settings identical, and exact same image files - just with the extension changed).

It seems the portion of the pipeline that generates the textures may have a problem if the image files have a '.jpeg' extension instead of '.jpg'.

I've tried a few reconstructions where the only difference is the extension of the image files, and in all cases the textures are correctly returned if the image files have a .jpg extension but are not returned if they have a .jpeg extension.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Stephen

Message 9 of 10

Stephen hi, great to hear you found the problem. I reconstructed your scene and too got grey results as well (it took me a while, i am actally skiing and the connection here wasnt great 🙂 . But i was awaiting monday, so that my team of qa/developers can let me know what the problem was and if there is a solution, but you found it, which is great... on another note though, not sure what quality reconstrution to expect from the maps you use as i look in detail at the photos and they seems distorded, esecially the fasade lines of those with lower angles...

not sure if your goal was to test exactly if it will work with Apple maps (which is surprisingly good, given the input) or you need more precise results from areal photos, just wanted to let you know that we have really great results from GoPro which we started supporting since recently ( the Hero III Black) as well as from professional area photography. i would be very curious to know what is your use case. (if you dont feel comfortable sharing that publically, but would share with us, you can also contact me at tatjana.dzambazova@autodesk.com)

Message 10 of 10

Hi Tanja,

No problem; and thank you for taking a look at the scene reconstruction in parallel!

Yes, the goal of using the current image set was simply to evaluate ReCap 360 and get familiar with the toolset. Apart from the hiccough described in this thread the service looks very promising.

Would love to chat a bit more about our application; I'll reach out to you directly when we're ready.

Thank you again for the help.

Best,

Stephen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report