Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems reading Recap 360 .rcs file into Recap (desktop)

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
lyndsey
2555 Views, 36 Replies

Problems reading Recap 360 .rcs file into Recap (desktop)

I wonder if you can help, we have run our photo's through Recap 360 and upon looking at the .rcp file online the result is exactly what we were looking for. 

But then when we try to open it in recap via the .rcs file we end up with this 

unfortunately this is not something we can use, do you know why this may be happening or if there is a way to get a better result. Thanks in advance for any help.

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
james
in reply to: dcutter

Denis,

I think we are both trying to process files with a lot of surfaces. This may be an issue with scaleability but it looks like your RCS file is simply not useable.

It would be useful to have a comment from the factory on why these issues are occurring.

Recap_Ju

I have asked Lyndsey to explain in more detail the steps which were being carried out when we experienced the crash. We are using Google Chrome. She will confirm which version.

REgards

James Lupton

Message 22 of 37
lyndsey
in reply to: ReCap_Ju

Denis,

I was in thew final stages of setting up the project to submit and Google Chrome crashed, the screen went blank and then went to a dark blue warning screen which had a sad face on it and siad that there was a problem with the page. I do not recall exactly what it said but it kept asking me to repair the problem with the page, which I tried to do three times but with no luck.

We run Recap 360 on google chrome as suggested by the website and the version is: Version 35.0.1916.153 m If you require any more information please get back to me.

In regards to the project taking 4 hours to set up a lot of that time is down to the very slow upload of the pictures, and because we now have aerial photo's to use in the project we have tried to add survey points to the aerial shots so that they have a relation to the shots taken from the ground. I weren't sure if Recap would be able to know from the aerial roof shots which part of the building it was.

Adding a save button would be so much help as even the uploading of the photo's can take up a lot of time and to loose them is rather frustrating.

Regards

Lyndsey-Jane

Message 23 of 37
ReCap_Ju
in reply to: lyndsey

Hello,

if you already uploaded your photos before, you don't need to upload it again to re create a project from scratch with these pictures.

At the "upload" step, just up from the droping zone, on the left you have something like:
A360 > "your project name" > Images

This represents the current path where you are going to upload your pictures. The parts of this path are clickable and allow to navigate through your folders, cliking on the "A360" will lead you to the root of your storage space. There you wil be able to navigate through your different folder and retreive the image you uploaded for a previous project and select them for your current project.

Even if the old project failed the images are still on your A360 space, so you can retreive them this way and avoid the long upload step.

I hope this tip will help you to save time.

Regards

Message 24 of 37
dcutter

I did not re-upload anyfiles for this project.  I simply selected resubmit.  It was using the same folder, the same images and the same point registrations.  I just got a dramatically different result.

Pre-uploading your files into Autodesk 360 and then pointing to that folder from ReCap 360 during project setup does not work with GoPro images.  The de-fish proccess does not happen.

Thanks,

Denis
Message 25 of 37
james

Spoiler
Thanks Denis
Spoiler
I think we are getting to the bottom some of these problems.
Spoiler
We have had a bit more sucess with the latest RCS file download which on the 200K triangle web preview looks good.
Spoiler
On first view from a distance the model looks good but as you move up close it is actually full of small holes.
Spoiler
We have also completely lost the back of the building. We think this is because a different camera was used for the pto's of that elevation. W will try again wih All GoPro pictures and see what results we get.
It would be good to know from the factory why the RCS file is still full of holes this would take forever to repair in Recap desktop.
Spoiler
Overall the results are very promising as can be seen from the attached images.
Spoiler
I will post a view of the model after bringing it into Revit.
Message 26 of 37
james
in reply to: james

The following is a view of an elevation from the model after bringing it into Revit.

I would say almost goor enough to put straight onto a drawing sheet.

The 17.49m dimension shown was defined in Recap 360 as 17.63 but seems to have shrunk a bit in the processing.

Does anybody know how we rescale the point cloud in Recap Desktop? it won't rescale in Revit.

Message 27 of 37
dcutter

Smiley Happy I'm jelous james.  You have cool buildings.   I have not figured out how to scale in ReCap Pro yet either.

Thanks,

Denis
Message 28 of 37
james

We have gone back to the site and taken some more photos on the GoPro so this time hopefully we can get a suitable model of the rear wall.

I am not sure if we are missing something but there doesnt seem to be a way to add more GoPro photos to the poject and so we have to start yet another project and start again by uploading all our photos from scratch.

Uploading is taking a long time and it seems to be doing it again simply because there is no add photos to project option (or we can't find it). If that feature is not there I would suggest it is added because I can see the need to supplement an earlier survey with more information.

A fully working solution doesnt seem too far away and we can see a real use for this technology in the industry so please keep up to good work and hopefully we will be there soon.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Message 29 of 37
ReCap_Ju

Hello James,

I'm glad the recent results are sastifying you.

You are not obliged to upload again all the pictures. There are 2 ways you can achieve what you want to do:

From the viewer:
- you can exlude the images you want to replace by selecting the thumbnail and click "exclude" in the box that appears on the top right hand corner

- then in the bottom of the left panel you have a "Add Images" button, in this window you can add your new go pro images to your poject.
- in this window, you even have a drop down to sort the images, here you can sort by "Camera" and you can even edit some camera paremeters or select a camera preset (like GoPro Hero3).

At project creation:

You can browse your A360 space and select images previsouly uploaded. In case of a GoPro project that have been computed you will see 2 sets of images: the original images and the "defished" images. At this step you can selected images that have already been uploaded and add new images by clicking the button "Add more images". You also have the camera parameter option here. Please check my previous comment in this thread for more information.

As Denis said there is problem with the exif data of images coming from A360 and the defish operation might not occur if you select GoPro images from A360. But if your project have been processed, just select the defished images and this should work fine. We are aware of the issue and the storage team is currently working on a fix.

Regards

Message 30 of 37
lyndsey

Hi There,

The options you mention in your previous message do not seem to be available when we go to resubmit a project. I have taken some images of the process we go through so you can see what we have available.

Once we have checked through a previously submitted Project and decided that this is not a good enough result we select the Resubmit project button

Image 1

This then takes us to the option box where we can choose how we want to set up the resubmitted project (see below for the options we chose)

Image 2

after clicking the Next button we then get taken to a page where we can review all the photo's that were added in the original project. We have the option to remove photo's if we need to but nowhere on that page is there an option to add more photo's.

Image 3

If we select to go into the camera parameters page we can view all the information about previously added photo's but nowhere on this page does it have an 'add more photo's' button.

Image 4

We can also go to the registration page to review the survey point added in the original project and also add more survey points if required, but again we don't seem to be able to add more photo's to the resubmitted project.

Image 5

I'm not sure if it's something we are missing but if you could point us in the right direction with some screen shots maybe, that would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance

Lyndsey-Jane.

Message 31 of 37
lyndsey

Extra images

Message 32 of 37
Pierdi

Hi Lyndsey,

The only way to add more images is from the viewer.

You need to open your project (click on it) then click on the

<add images> button in the lower left corner of the biewer - see the attached screenshot.

Add.jpg

Once added, you can resubmit directly from the viewer.

I suggest you to resubmit with a new version each time, so if something goes wrong you can always restart from the previous scene.

Regards,

Pierre

Message 33 of 37
lyndsey

Following on from my post the other day regarding Recap 360 photo crashing after almost getting to the end of entering survey points and almost resubmitting the project. The same thing happened again today and I managed to get some screen snaps of the errors.

Message 34 of 37
ReCap_Ju

Hello Denis,

A new batch have been released today for RCS translation, it should fix very big meshes RCS translation.

Can I ask you to resubmit your scene and see if it solves your issue?

Best regards

Message 35 of 37
dcutter

Great.  I resubmitted my BirdCreek project.  There appear to be some issues with the images when I reviewed them.  Some of them do not display.  I went into the point registration and all my registered points are still there, but the images simply do not display.  I hit resubmit anyway.

7-1-2014 8-18-39 AM.png

Thanks,

Denis
Message 36 of 37
james

Ju/Denis,

We have resubmited our project also to see if this helps to get rid of the holes in the surface.

We will post the results when we get them.

Regards

James

Message 37 of 37
dcutter

Today's results look pretty good.  I was able to get an RCS file of this collect into ReCap Pro that very closely represents the ReCap 360 version. 

View in ReCap 360

7-2-2014 9-15-34 AM.png

View in ReCap Pro

7-2-2014 9-35-10 AM.png

Now the bad news.  The quality of the model seems to have dropped off.  This model started out looking very true to form.  Now it has very strange and pronounced undulations that do not exist.  It calls the entire data set into question.  There are several areas of this model that are concave that should be convex.  The gas at the bottom of this rock cut is very flat (and was in early versions of this model).  Now the grass is very wavey and not at all flat.  This quality issue is for another thread though, so I will continue it there.

Thanks,

Denis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report