Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving mParticles around

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
xtravolution
345 Views, 1 Reply

moving mParticles around

Hi. So I am trying to get mParticles to stick to some animated geometry. The usual method of using a "position object" (with lock emmiter turned on) no longer works. I have tried to separate the position object and birth to start in an earlier event so that the mParticles only get activated after a collision test. This works but then the particles don't ever glue together.

Any help I can get with this would be awesome. Virtual beers would be on me 😎

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ollyV
in reply to: xtravolution

I know this answer is nealry a year late.. The reason your method wasn't working, is that there is a difference between the 'standard/old' operators and the 'Mparticle' operators. If you want properties to carry over from one to the next, you need to use the mP Switch operator.

The easiest way of doing it all with MParticles is to use the mP Glue Operator.

- Start with a Birth Stream, and make sure you have a mpWorld & mPShape in there.

- Then add the worldspace modifer 'PFlow Collision Shape' to your collision object, and set it to active.

- Add a mP Collision operator (after the mP World), and select the colliosn object

- Add a mp Glue operator (after mP Collision), set it to timing 'Continuous', and check the tick box 'Deflectors' and pick your colliosn object again.

You should read up and experiemnt with the glue operator a bit to get the right effect. I'm doing this exact same thing now, which is why I'm answering your post, but I'm getting some jittering on the particles once their bound/glued.

These boards aren't very active are they? Anyone know of a slightly more useful forum?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report