Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mParticle collisions between scaling particle meshes

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MarkAldred
552 Views, 7 Replies

mParticle collisions between scaling particle meshes

Hi

I have a bunch of instanced spheres colliding with themselves and a couple of mesh objects. I'm using the mP Shape operator. I'd like the spheres to gradually shrink while colliding at the correct radius, but I can't get the simulation to recognise any changes in sphere scale. I've tried animating the instanced object's scale, the percent value in a Scale operator and also the Radius and Scale% parameters in the mP Shape operator, but nothing works.

How can I get the simulation to work with scaling spheres colliding?

Thanks

Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi Mark,

Can you upload a sample file to your case 09052271 in the subscription center for our research and testing?  If it is larger than 20mb please let me know I will send you information on an FTP.

Thank you.

Jonathan 

Message 3 of 8

Hi Jonathan

I couldn't find an upload link at the subscription centre so I'll attach a sample here.

Basically, I would like the particles to reduce in apparent size. I tried scaling the surrounding collision sphere so the particles gradually become more distant from the camera, but that doesn't work. And I tried scaling down the particles themselves, but that's no good either.

Thanks

Mark

Message 4 of 8
JohnnyRandom
in reply to: MarkAldred

PhysX does not allow the changing of collision Hull scale or shape.

The only current work around is to Data Op or Script Op the Intercollision Tolerance value in the mP Shape Op, this is at best a total hack and YMMV. 🙂

in reply to: JohnnyRandom

Thanks.
So there's no equivalent of an 'Animated Shape' checkbox then. I'll try scripting it.

Message 6 of 8
JohnnyRandom

Unfortunately no Animated Shape 😞

Here is a quick example that shows how to cheat it. It will of course only work in a few specific circumstances.

JFYI I have noticed using scale differences more than 50% of original size the interpenetration tolerance and hull shape behave a little odd.

-John

in reply to: JohnnyRandom

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try.
Message 8 of 8
JohnnyRandom

np 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report