Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDeflector issues

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
243 Views, 5 Replies

UDeflector issues

Hello there,

Im creating a spaceship and i have created a bubble mesh to see like a force shield, i want to apply the UDeflector to the bubble mesh so when particles hit it they get deflected, but as soon as i pick the object 'bubble mesh' 3ds Max crashes.

Any ideas as to why?

I'm running a

Athlon 64 x2 Dual Coare Processor 500+ 2.60GHz
4 GB Ram
Vista Ultimate 64bit Service pack 1
ATI RADEON HD 3650 512Mb

Thanks for any help in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
krueger_1
in reply to: Anonymous

How complex is the bubble mesh? Can you post a screen of the object and any modifiers on it? If you want to post the scene, I can look through that too.
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Here the actual file, its in zip format cause it wont let me post .max files sorry.

Thanks for your help in advance.

17344_0bm8fsEcajZI8PA9De6O.zip

Message 4 of 6
krueger_1

I don't have the slightest clue why this was causing it to crash, but going into sub object mode of your shield, selecting the element and hitting autosmooth under smoothing groups fixed it here. Everything else I tried resulted in crashes or Max not responding.

Also, I used the STL check modifier and you have an open seam along the top of the shield you might want to weld shut...
Maya 2012
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Hi, your a super star thanks very much, i have another question for you, do you know of any good particle tutorials for 3ds max? I only know limited stuff when it comes to particles and would like to make my ship look like its getting attacked by some sort of plasma weapon.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Message 6 of 6
krueger_1

Some good particle tutorials you can find from Allan McKay. He's got some on his website and he also has some DVD's for sale that are really good.
Link

Some other tutorials you might find useful are from Pete Draper. He's got some on his website, but his Deconstructing the Elements book is fantastic.
Link
Maya 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report