Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MassFX Sim from Frame

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
papaf1
1245 Views, 10 Replies

MassFX Sim from Frame

I guess this might be a stupid question, but does MassFX have the ability to start a simulation from a specific frame. I’m working on some sims that I need to fine tune the Kinematic object driving the simulation. I need to move to the time where I need to adjust the motion but I don’t want it to simulate all of the frames again because those are fine. Reactor had this and I think I saw this in earlier versions of MassFX but now I’m using 2013/2014 and I don’t see it anymore.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
Autodesk Inventor & AutoCAD
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
Dual Intel Xeon 2.83 E5440 GHz
8.00 GB of Ram
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Steve_Curley
in reply to: papaf1

Yes and no. MassFX uses the currently configured Frame Range, so if you alter the displayed timeline to only show the frames you want the sim to run on it should do what you want.
There's no specific option (AFAIK) like the one in Reactor.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 11
papaf1
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Cool, thanks Steve, I'll give that a try.

Sent from my ASUS Pad
D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 4 of 11
papaf1

OK, I tried changing the time line to show the frame I need to change for the sim, but it's not picking up the sim from that point. Nothing simulates from this point on. I started adjusting the frames from 0 to 130 and simulating that, then from 131 to 500, but nothing but the Kinematic objects move. Nothing else simulates. Any ideas? I would like to simulate in stages to get it right.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 5 of 11
Steve_Curley

On the same objects? I don't think that will work because each object has a "Sim Baked" flag - open the MassFX Tools, 2nd Tab from the Left, Explore Scene (you might need to scroll down to find it). If an object has been simmed and baked then I suspect that flag prevents further simming of that object.
I'm not sure how you would go about simming the same object at different times, other than to sim the whole thing at once.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 11
papaf1
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Yeah that's what I'm tryig to avoid. Making key adjustments down the line takes forever to see sometimes and can make the simulation process very long.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 7 of 11
papaf1

A simple explanation of what I’m trying to do is pick something up with a rope. I need to stand the part up with the rope starting out on the ground. Then pick it up without the rope getting slack. So I need to get the lifting part (Kinematic) to the height so the rope becomes tight, then stop  for a second before pulling up to stand up the part. After standing the part I need to stop again before continuing to pick up the part. If I can’t animate the Kinematic object in stages for the simulation I can’t see when the rope becomes tight before picking up to stand it up and to lift it up. If that makes any sense to anyone.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 8 of 11
samab

If you have a Kinematic RB, check the 'Until Frame' option to set where it will become Dynamic.

Message 9 of 11
papaf1
in reply to: samab

The problem is I don't want the Kinematic RB to become Dynamic, that removes my ability to animate it. The Kinematic objects are driving the lift operation of the rope and the object. This is a crane lift, so the Kinematic object is the crane hook.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 10 of 11
samab

What I meant was make the Dynamic RB a Kinematic RB, until the frame you want to to become Dynamic.

Message 11 of 11
jamestomk

On the mCloth object, in "mCloth Simulation" panel, set the object as "Kinematic" (not dynamic), then enable "until Frame" and set the frame you want to begin with.   once you bake the object, the timeline will step along rather quickly to your "until frame" (except for any other animation you applied on the timeline), and will then start applying the dynamic simulation that includes forces and other MassFX objects

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report