Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate the Max particle scale by age system

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lordraidis
422 Views, 2 Replies

I hate the Max particle scale by age system

So I've been digging around trying to find an alternative system in Max to scale particle sprites based on their age--similar to the way Maya does it with a simple black and white gradient. It's so easy. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get used to the strange keyframing system in Max where you keyframe the scale on the timeline ahead of time... so confusing and unintuitive. Has anyone here ever found an alternative way to do this? Like a simple scale by gradient system?
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
krueger_1
in reply to: lordraidis

I'm not aware of any direct way of using a gradient for scale. I'm not sure Max can even read a gradient translating to time. It's not that difficult to use the scale though.

If you sync by abosulte time, it will animate every particle on the frames that you've keyframed. ie: If you have a key on frame 20 and another on frame 40, all particles will animate scale in unison from 20-40.

If you sync by particle age or event age, frame 0 becomes the starting point for each particle's scale animation. ie: If you have the same 20-40 keyframe animation and set to sync by event age, each particle's scale will start to animate 21 frames after they enter the event.
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC
Message 3 of 3
lordraidis
in reply to: lordraidis

Yeah from what I'm gathering from everything I've read so far, this method (aside from creating a complex script which I have no real ability to do) is the only way to do this. Guess I just better suck it up get used to it 🙂 heh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report