Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAIR and FUR Totally Unstable When Rendering Dynamics

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
645 Views, 26 Replies

HAIR and FUR Totally Unstable When Rendering Dynamics

Hi -this is a new thread as I couldnt post a reply to my prior thread " RE : error "HAIR ATMOSPHERIC" IS NOT SUPPORTED (while rendering message)".Author who posted was MK 3D on that thread - My hair and fur settings are the same as in the BMP screen shots contained in that thread which may be useful again.

Ok I a new problem now.

Im doing dyamics tests and want to render out a 200 frame sequence which is just the head moving right to left and a geosphere flowing around the maim of hair just to see how the maim animates and reactes/collisions with a wind and motion etc... as you do

To cut a long story short, it just keeps crashing out after a few frames, 10-20 frames if im lucky, when rendering from a stat file. This is using Mr Prim hair render , with lights as before ,( see prior Screen shots) but also when i set it to buffer mode and composite method - normal , to see if it makes a difference the same happens.

This is just a standard crash error, "3ds max has an error and will now shut down" ok not quite like that but very similar; its not specific why. Just your standard error.

Right now, i just need to render something stable, i dont care what it looks like anymore, i need to know what i should be rendering in, like maybe i should use scanline and composite and render hair seperately because its just not stable enough for me to do even test renders at the moment for animation/dynamics wise.

You mentioned before about rendering with matte objects, can you elaborate on this?I can compositte in combustion I know about alpha channels , RPF and targas but my knowledge on what to render to in max for hair, put it together ,and how I exactly make a object matte is minimal-none..

One other thing everytime i do a dynamics test and regrow the hair after i have changed a setting, other than styling the hair with spline i also do a bit in style mode, is there anyway i can save my hair style so i dont have to keep tweaking in style mode after I re-grow from splines?

So any advice as before again would be greatly appreciated

I look forward to your comments
(apologies for the long post : )
Regards
Ben
intel Q9550
4gig Ram(3.50)
32bit Win XP
3dsmax 2009 SP1 + hair hotfix
26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
decosouza
in reply to: Anonymous

I have the same problem. I can render until the frame 40 but I have a specific message. I try to translate as best as I can: "There's no enough space to store and processing the files". Well, my scene is in a very low configuration. I have more than 200 GB of free space in my HD and 3 GB of memory . The funny is that in a laptop with 4Gb free and 512MB of memory I can render 51 frames and i receive the standard error message. Curious... with Hairfx I can render about 220 frmes without any error. But the results are not so impressive as the Hair and Fur.
Message 22 of 27
krueger_1

Can you post your 3ds Max version and system specs? Are you rendering to an image sequence or a movie file? Did you save the hair dynamics to a stat file? And can you post the scene? It could be hard to find the problem if we can't reproduce the error.
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC
Message 23 of 27
decosouza

My Max Version is 9.0, my system is a windows XP Sp2, Pentium HT 3.0 with 3 GB Ram and video Radeon 512. I rendered as sequence and movie too and I save the stat files.

This is the link to download the scene:

http://rapidshare.com/files/217983164/Aramaudi_hair_teste12.rar

Thank you!
Message 24 of 27
krueger_1

I couldn't reproduce the issue using Max 2009, and all I did was delete the face to render the hair by itself and render to a targa sequence.

Maybe try using Conserve Memory in the processing tab of the render setup or try going to the Effects>H&F>Buffer Rendering Options and lower tile memory usage and/or transparency depth.

I can't think of much else that would make this work, maybe someone else can figure a way around it...
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC
Message 25 of 27
decosouza

Conserve memory was used and I tried the buffer options too. Unfortunatly nothing works.. 😞 and that's a shame because I love the look of Hair and Fur.. very realistic.
Message 26 of 27
decosouza

Well, I've made a test render (the same scene) with the new 3dsmax 2010 and everything is ok now. Even when I increase the count of hair and passes it works fine. I think it was a bug of my old Max 9.0. Thanks for the support!
Message 27 of 27
Anonymous

André I thought you might like to know seeing as I have now gone thru Joe Gunn`s hair training dvd (http://www.joegunn3d.com/Shop.html) and this has helped tons in all areas ;
styling , lighting and rendering but importantly how to set up the hair on a character and processes involved to reduce calculations even before you run dynamics on hair, this is what helped me most, as my system too was crashing every so many frames. Basically eveything before was set up wrong. But this is sorted now as a result.

cheers

Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report