Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clumping Particles

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
GeoffKornfeld
594 Views, 3 Replies

Clumping Particles

I have a stream of particles (spheres) and I would like to be able to stop one or two on a specific frame, and make any particle that touches them stop the moment it touches them, and stop any particle that touches those, etc., creating a clump.  Is this doable?

It would also be acceptable to have the ability to stop them by hand as needed and not worry about collisions.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I do not think this is possible, but I am doing some research.  I will get back to you with my findings when I have something to report.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: GeoffKornfeld

The problem with particles is they have no volume, in spite of whatever geom you may have to represent them in the render. As far as Max is concerned, they are a single point in space, so to actually touch, they would have to be coincidnent.

Message 4 of 4

An approach may be to use particle flow with the stop operator and move deflector objects in the path of the particles you want to stop. Maybe that deflector is enough to also stop the other particles, or move the deflector objects so that they stop the other particles a little away from the particles that were stopped earlier.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report