cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create .ics file attachment using the Email() object - scripting

create .ics file attachment using the Email() object - scripting

ics1.PNG

When I send an email I would like to be able to add in an .ics file.

The .ics file a simple text file contains information about a meeting or event.  the .ics file's contents are understood by outlook and other calendar packages. Clicking the ics file in the email adds the meeting or event to you calendar.

ics2.png

How I think this could be done,

in scripting the Email() object should have some more options for create .ics file and the values to go into it, The information in the .ics file is event name, start date/time, end date/time, location, title.  you could then grab / map item fields such as date, time location event, and map them to the .ics file. this would populate your calendar with the meeting or event.

5 Comments
jdavis417
Advocate

Tim,

I concur about the need you express but wonder if it might be better for PLM360 to integrate (or co-operate with) the users existing e-mail solution rather than trying to emulate some of it's functionality.

Having said that, it is possible to create a "personal project", (the "P" in PLM can stand for "personal"), and utilize the Schedule Tab of a Project to represent Tasks, Design Reviews,Project scheduling, etc.  This is a probably a weak-sister to your calendar application, but there's some overlap of duties that could be improved upon from one direction or another (or both)?

.ics files are a great example of gant-chart-like functionality (and related ease-of-use improvements) I'd love to see developed in PLM360!  Is there another module of Autodesk 360 that fills this gap?  Should there be?  Sharing a "communications center" and DWF(x) DESIGN REVIEW MARKUP CAPABILITIES (c'mon... support .dwf(x) at least as well as .pdf!!!  It's your own file-format!!!) between Autodesk 360 offerings and Autodesk off-the-shelf products might be a whale of a project?  Should PLM360 schedules (and their related Gant charts) be exportable as .ics files for utilization in the users existing software?  Synchronization of such calendars might be important-but-difficult-to automate?

Sorry if I went "stream-of-thoght" on you there... 😉  I think you've touched on an important opportunity to improve PLM360.

nguyentru
Alumni

Hi Tim,

This is a good idea.  We will review the idea and add to our future enhancement list.

thanks,

Trung

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report