cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workspace configuration Version Control

Workspace configuration Version Control

Hi,

It would be very useful if administrators had the ability to control changes to workspace design using versions. I have a scenario where I want to make some minor changes to a workspace configuration. Making these changes involved adding some fields and deleting others to both the item details and grid. I also need to make some workflow changes. As this is a love workspace I am left with one of two options;

1. Change the current workspace design. This will cause existing records to change to match the new workspace design template. Information and works law history will be lost

2. Create new workspaces to replace the old ones. This causes the two data sets two become separate. Reporting and searching will be compromised.

David.
5 Comments
gasevsm
Alumni
Hi David,

It would seem your concern is around retaining existing records as opposed to immediately be affected as workspace or workflow config changes happen. Or is your concept of versioning a way to control how existing data becomes affected when such reconfigs occur. Am I way off or ballpark there?

Would it be possible to share an example of something that has happened that you'd wish to have prevented or you know it would happen if you proceed?

Kindly elaborate on your idea how would admin's life be better with workspace or WF versions than without. Simply trying to understand this neat concept and so, very curious how you see versioning play a role in re-configurations (not) affecting existing data.

We can expand on this idea over different media than forum if you prefer that,

Regards,
--
Martin Gasevski
dkeeley
Collaborator

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Maybe a telephone call would help better explain this but I'll try to give an example of what I'm talking about below using the 'grid' tab as an example.

Lets say I have a workspace that uses three columns in the grid tab. The columns are A, B & C. (we'll call this workspace configuration 1) Now suppose I've created quite a few records using these columns - lets say 600 records

Now suppose that I want to change the workspace grid layout to use a new column, D, and at the same time remove column B. The new grid columns are A, C & D. (we'll call this workspace configuration 2)

Currently making this change to the workspace configuration from 1 to 2 would result in all the data from column B being lost from the first 600 records. What I'm proposing is that somehow it becomes possible to revise the workspace configurations so that the first 600 records can keep configuration 1 while any records created thereafter will use configuration2.

Obviously this translates into changes to any othet workspace tabs. Admins could decide when they want to 'publish' a new workspace configuration instance - or even have the power to delete any changes made since the last instance was published. Maybe admins could have a way to test unpublished configurations?? 

When a new workspace configuaration is published admins can decide whether they want to propagate the new design onto the existing records or not. Kind of like an effectivity!. Admins could also be given the ability to rollback workspace configurations.

Does this make it any clearer? I'm sure its not a straightforward thing to implement but I think it would be a very useful addition.

David.

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration
Hi David, We appreciate you taking the time to submit this idea to us. We will review and add to our future enhancement list. Please continue to submit those ideas. Thank you, Trung
benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report